“We want to ensure that diversity is more than a buzz word, and that our culture actually reflects the values of inclusion and fairness. All of us at SOM, students, faculty, trainees and staff alike, are part of that process. Together, we are building a community in which differences of every kind – gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and beyond – are not only valued but seen as a means to excellence.”
– Greg Townsend, MD
Associate Dean for Diversity
Upcoming Grant Opportunity:
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the Simons Foundation would like to call your attention to a joint national competition for grants to outstanding early career scientists (more than 4, but no more then 10, years of post-training) as Faculty Scholars. Awardees will receive a five-year, non-renewable grant whose size will be based on several factors, including the amount of external funding the scientist has at the time of the grant.
Deadline: July 28, 2015
At UVA School of Medicine, we are committed to ensuring that diversity is more than a buzzword, and that our culture and community actually reflect the values of inclusion and fairness. For students, housestaff, faculty, staff and patients alike, we strive to foster a sense of community that values and takes advantage of our differences and similarities in gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and beyond.
In all that we do, we work to benefit human health and improve the quality of life.
We will be:
- our local community’s provider of choicefor its healthcare needs
- a national leader in quality, patient safety, service, and compassionate care
- the leading provider of technologically-advanced, ground-breaking care throughout Virginia
- recognized for translating research discoveries into improvements in clinical care and patientoutcomes
- fostering innovative care delivery and teaching/training models that respond to the evolving health environment
- a leader in training students and faculty in providing health care free of disparity
Please follow the link to read about the SOM Strategic Plan
For physicians-in-training, learning the cross-cultural skills to communicate across differences of every kind is essential. The School of Medicine has over three decades’ experience promoting diversity among medical and graduate students in a variety of educational and mentoring programs. We invite you to explore further what diversity means at the UVA School of Medicine.
For more information about UVA’s commitment to diversity and a broader listing of diversity programs, please see the following link:Voices of Diversity