CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
Please read the following conditions carefully:
- All acceptances to the University of Virginia School of Medicine are contingent upon satisfactory completion of all future course work. A grade of “C” will require a written explanation. A grade of “D” or below will result in a re-evaluation of your application. If you have made changes in your course selections after filing your AMCAS application, please notify the Admissions Office in writing. The Admissions Office should also be notified of any decision to take a course for credit/no credit or pass/fail, to audit a course, or to take any remaining courses at a school other than the one indicated on the AMCAS application. The Admissions Office should also be informed if you decide to graduate early or enroll as a part-time student.
- Although you mailed transcripts to AMCAS at the time you applied, AMCAS does not forward those transcripts to the University of Virginia. Before you matriculate, you must have official transcripts sent to the Admissions Office from each college or university you have attended, even if those course credits were transferred to another school. This includes any Study Abroad programs. Student copies are not acceptable. These transcripts will become an official part of your permanent medical school record and will be used for verification purposes after you graduate from the School of Medicine.
- If legal or criminal proceedings are filed against you prior to matriculation, or if you are the recipient of any institutional disciplinary action, it is your responsibility to inform the Admissions Office immediately. Upon initial, conditional acceptance to the School of Medicine, all students must undergo an AMCAS-facilitated criminal background check, in which searches will be conducted by social security number, by areas of prior residence (on county-wide, state-wide and national levels), and by sex offender databases. The check will seek conviction information for all criminal felonies and misdemeanors committed as an adult, as well as for all unresolved offenses and arrests. Enrollment at the School of Medicine at the University of Virginia is conditional upon the results of the criminal background check. The School of Medicine reserves the right to revoke an offer of admission based upon information received through the criminal background check. All criminal background checks will be facilitated by AMCAS and conducted through Certiphi Screening, Inc. You will be contacted by Certiphi via email with instructions on how to begin the required background check. For further details, please see the full Criminal Background Check Policy at: https://med.virginia.edu/admissions/application-process/criminal-background-check/
- If you are currently an undergraduate, you must complete all bachelor degree requirements before matriculating at the University of Virginia. If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program, you must complete all advanced degree requirements prior to matriculation.
- In order to accept your position at the University of Virginia, you must return your Class Reservation Form and Declaration of Meeting Technical Standards Form within three weeks of our offer of admission. Returning your Class Reservation Form indicates that you are currently interested in holding a position at the School of Medicine. You may withdraw from the incoming class at any time without penalty. Please email your forms to SOMADM@virginia.edu or mail to P.O. Box 800725, Charlottesville, VA 22908.
- All incoming medical students are required to provide proof of current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification. The Health System requires that this is through the American Heart Association ONLY. Please send a photocopy of both sides of your SIGNED BLS certification to the Admissions Office (SOMADM@virginia.edu or mail to P.O. Box 800725, Charlottesville, VA 22908) by July 1, prior to matriculation.
- Applicants are permitted to hold only one medical school position (at a time) after April 30. AMCAS will report to the medical schools which acceptances you are holding. In fairness to applicants on the waiting list, please make your decision and inform our Admissions Office no later than April 30.
- International students must complete and submit all documents required by the International Studies Office by July 1, prior to matriculation.
Failure to meet these Conditions of Acceptance will result in withdrawal of your offer to the University of Virginia School of Medicine. Please contact the Admissions Office at (434) 924-5571 if you have any questions about these conditions.