Internet-Based Program Can Help More Insomnia Patients Get Treatment (MPR)

June 10, 2015 by sa4fa@virginia.edu

Internet-based cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) resulted in significant and lasting improvements in people’s sleep and daily functioning, according to data from a randomized controlled trial presented by Borge Sivertsen, PhD at SLEEP 2015.

Due to high costs and concentrated expertise in large cities, there has been a lack of CBT-I availability as a treatment for insomnia. The Internet has been proposed as a way to provide CBT-I in addressing the high incidence of insomnia and lack of available treatments.

Researchers from the National Institute of Public Health, Department of Public Mental Health, Bergen, Norway, aimed to study the efficacy of an unguided, Internet-based CBT-I treatment, Sleep Healthy Using the Internet (SHUTi), for adults with insomnia. The study enrolled 188 Norwegian adults (67% women, mean age 45) with insomnia and randomized them into interactive CBT-I treatment (SHUTi; n=99) or to passive education/sleep hygiene (n=89) for a six-week study period. Both study groups were assessed at baseline and post-intervention, which included questionnaires and sleep diary. This was followed by a six-month follow-up of the CBT-I group.

READ MORE…