Real Time Cell Analysis
The Acea Biosciences xCELLigence RTCA DP instrument, (formerly marketed by Roche Applied Science) analyses cell functions in real time using non-destructive, reagent free impedance measurements. Real time monitoring detects short term events which endpoint assays can easily miss, as noted by University of Virginia investigators.
The instrument uses impedance measurements to monitor cell growth or death and morphology changes using 5000 to 60000 cells per well, depending on the cell line. Our instrument holds 3 plates with 16 wells each.
A specialized cell invasion plate uses Boyden chambers to measure cell migration and invasion. Cell interactions can be measured using well inserts which hold one group of cells, whose secreted materials can diffuse through pores to affect cells on the measurement surface.
- quantitation of bacterial toxins
- measuring effect of toxins on barrier function
- toxin curves
- changes in cell morphology
- time course of toxin responses
- measuring cell mediated cytotoxicity
- the effect of a transfected gene on cell invasion and proliferation
Other published applications are
- cell and doubling times
- cell mediated antibody dependent cell cytotoxicity
- cyotoxicity including IC-50 determination
- receptor signalling such as G-protein coupled receptors
- monitor , using CIM plates
- Cell cell interactions using
- monitoring of short term gene expression in conjunction with RT-PCR (realtime cell lysis kit app)
- Inhibition of
- dissecting kinase pathways with kinase activity profiling
More applications and information are listed on the manufacturer’s website at
If you are interested in using this instrument, contact John Shannon, email@example.com, ph. 434.243.9399.
Before using human cells or other materials covered by biosafety requirements, you must supply IBC number to John Shannon and verify that your training is current. Users are expected to wear lab coats and gloves.