Hours & Location
Hours of Operation
The BTRF has staff on duty from 8:30 AM until 8:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Shared equipment (cryostat, LCM, photomicroscopy) is available for use from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday, except as noted below.
The BTRF is closed from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM each Thursday for group meeting. Equipment may not be booked at this time, and specimens will be accepted for processing only with advance notice.
The BTRF follows the University of Virginia Holiday Schedule for the Academic Division (see UVA Human Resources). For academic holidays when UVA Health System Clinics are operating, the BTRF maintains a minimal staffing level to allow routine specimen processing and also tissue procurement in surgical pathology until 5 PM or until scheduled clinic closing, whichever is earlier.
Cutoff times for samples needing same day FedEx or UPS shipping:
- Single Centrifugation with sample pickup: ready for pickup & BTRF notified by 3:45 PM
- Double Centrifugation with sample pickup: ready for pickup & BTRF notified by 3:30 PM
- Single Centrifugation sample delivered to BTRF: received in BTRF lab by 4:00 PM
- Double Centrifugation sample delivered to BTRF: received in BTRF lab by 3:45 PM
Cutoff times for samples not needing same day shipment:
- Single Centrifugation with sample pickup: ready for pickup & BTRF notified by 7:00 PM
- Double Centrifugation with sample pickup: ready for pickup & BTRF notified by 6:45 PM
- Single Centrifugation sample delivered to BTRF: received in BTRF lab by 7:15 PM
- Double Centrifugation sample delivered to BTRF: received in BTRF lab by 7:00 PM
Complex processing may require adjustments to these guidelines and will be discussed with the study team prior to study initiation.
Requests for sample processing outside of regular operating hours or on scheduled holidays will only be accepted with sufficient advance notice and subject to staff availability.
Cutoff times for tissue specimens:
For tissue samples processed in the Surgical Pathology grossing room, the specimen must be arrive from the operating room no later than 4:30 PM. Specimens arriving between 4:30 and 6:00 PM can be processed in some cases, but this must be arranged with BTRF staff in advance.
We may attempt to procure from samples arriving after this cutoff with sufficient advance notice and subject to availability of both a BTRF staff member and a qualified Pathologist.
Additional overtime charges will apply for services rendered outside of normal hours of operation.
Find the link on the same level as the Medical School Library that takes you from Pinn Hall over Lane Road to the MR5 building. If you have card key access to any of the research areas in MR5, you can use internal hallways on any level in MR5 to pass through to the Carter Harrison Research Building (MR6). If you do not, take the stairs or elevators to the first floor and exit to the sidewalk between MR5 and the Nursing School. Walk past MR5 to the entrance of MR6 (this will be on your left). Once inside MR6, go down to the G level, then enter the hallway that takes you to the research labs.