Attending Surgery Panel: Wednesday 9/18/19 12pm, MedEd Auditorium
Come join the Cabell Society in welcoming a panel of five attendings from different surgical subspecialties! Featured guest will be:
- Dr. Campbell – Plastics & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Dr. Chhabra – Orthopedic Surgery
- Dr. Friel – Colon/Rectal Surgery
- Dr. Kesser – Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- Dr. Yarboro– Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery
Come for Pizza and great discussion!
Surgery Grand Rounds:
Every Wednesday the UVA Department of Surgery gladly invites students of all years to attend surgery grand rounds. This is a great opportunity to gain insight to the surgical field and experience real-life cases. Lectures start with the Resident Teaching Conferences, followed by Morbidity and Mortality reports, and finally Grand Rounds. Lectures are held on the ground floor of McKim Hall. Details listed below:
- Resident Teaching Conferences – 6:00 AM in the conference room across from the Sandridge Auditorium
- Morbidity & Mortality (M&M) Session – 7:00 AM, Sandridge Auditorium
- Surgery Grand Rounds – 8:00 AM, Sandridge Auditorium
Breakfast is available between the resident teaching conference and M&M. White coats are suggested attire.
Contact any of the officers if you would like to go and don’t feel comfortable going by yourself! Its a great opportunity to meet some of the residents and attendings in person!
Link to the Department of Surgery site
Suture Workshop: TBD
Come learn and practice some basic/intermediate suturing techniques in the anatomy lab!
Fourth Year General Surgery Matching Panel: Tuesday March 19th @5pm, 2019 UVA School of Medicine Auditorium
Come and join fourth years who recently matched into General Surgery (Congrats!) as they give advice and talk about what it is like to match into, interview for, and apply into General Surgery. Pizza will be served!
UVA School of Medicine Discussion Panel: Gun Violence in the Context of Healthcare: Thursday, February 21 2019, 5:15 – 7:15 pm
Come join the University of Virginia School of Medicine to discuss how gun violence affects medical practice and what current policy and policy initiatives look like here in Charlottesville. Natalie Hillerson and Zev Gurman, Aid to Medical Student Representatives, have organized a diverse panel of health care professionals to discuss the current state of affairs regarding gun violence and its impact on heathcare. Speakers include:
- J. Forrest Calland, MD, FACS: Trauma Surgery
- Carolyn Engelhard, PhD: Professor of Public Health Sciences and Public Policy
- Kathryn Laughon, PhD, RN, FAAN: Associate Professor of Nursing
- James Moak, MD, RDMS: Emergency Medicine
Surgeon Panel: Monday, November 12th. 12:00 PM, 2018 UVA School of Medicine Learning Studio
Planned guests for the panel:
- Dr. Curtis Tribble: Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Vice chair for Education and Professor of Surgery
- Dr. Jeffrey Gander: Pediatric Surgery, Assistant Surgery Clerkship Director
- Dr. Sook Hoang: Colorectal Surgery (She recently joined the faculty as of October 2017 so she can give you the scoop on what residency is like currently!)
Resident Meet and Greet: Wednesday, September 12th 2018, UVA School of Medicine Learning Studio
Come join some of our UVA Surgery residents to talk and ask about life as a resident in the surgical fields and how they decided to pursue a surgical specialty!
Last updated 3/11/2019