At UVA School of Medicine, we are committed to ensuring that diversity is more than a buzzword, and that our culture and community actually reflect the values of inclusion and fairness. For students, housestaff, faculty, staff and patients alike, we strive to foster a sense of community that values and takes advantage of our differences and similarities in gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and beyond.
In all that we do, we work to benefit human health and improve the quality of life.
We will be:
- Our local community’s provider of choice for its healthcare needs
- A national leader in quality, patient safety, service, and compassionate care
- The leading provider of technologically-advanced, ground-breaking care throughout Virginia
- Recognized for translating research discoveries into improvements in clinical care and patient outcomes
- Fostering innovative care delivery and teaching/training models that respond to the evolving health environment
- A leader in training students and faculty in providing health care free of disparity
For physicians-in-training, learning the cross-cultural skills to communicate across differences of every kind is essential. The School of Medicine has over three decades’ experience promoting diversity among medical and graduate students in a variety of educational and mentoring programs. We invite you to explore further what diversity means at the UVA School of Medicine.
Diversity stands with ethics, integrity, and academic excellence, as a cornerstone of University culture. The University promotes an inclusive and welcoming environment that embraces the full spectrum of human attributes, perspectives, and disciplines. When people of different backgrounds come together, they exchange ideas, question assumptions (including their own), and broaden the horizons for us all. A University of Virginia community rich in diversity affords every member equal respect – and provides a forum for understanding our differences as well as our commonalities.
For more information about UVA’s commitment to diversity and a broader listing of diversity programs, please visit the site of our Vice President & Chief Officer for Diversity and Equity.