SMLP How to Apply
Dr. Vivian Pinn, UVa alum and Former Director of Research on Women’s Health at the NIH, with SMLP participants
- Completed online application by February 5th 2020, 11:59 PM EST deadline
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty or advisers (due 7 days after the application deadline)
- Uploaded copy of your unofficial academic transcript
- Completed personal statements regarding your experience in healthcare, an obstacle you have overcome and meaningful volunteering or work experience
- Create an account in the central UVA Application Management system
- From the menu, select the application for the Summer Medical Leadership Program for the upcoming summer
- Follow the remaining prompts
Letters of recommendation:
Two letters are required. Try to choose individuals whom know you well and can comment on you aptitude for medical and academic abilities. Our application system emails your recommenders with a request to complete our evaluation form.
Upload your most recent unofficial transcript. If coursework has been completed at several institutions and your recent transcript doesn’t reflect the grades from all courses at all schools you must submit transcripts from each institution attended.
1. Compose a paragraph detailing the largest obstacle you have overcome. Tell us how you handled the situation. (400 Word Maximum)
2. Compose a paragraph detailing your most meaningful experience in healthcare. This may be from professional or personal history. (400 Word Maximum)
3. Compose a short paragraph detailing a meaningful work or volunteer experience. (125 Word Maximum)
SMLP Program Questions
Kristina Dobrovic, Program Coordinator
Online Application Questions
Application, recommendation, and transcript questions and issues
Admissions Mailing Address
Summer Medical Leadership Program
PO Box 800446
Charlottesville, VA 22908
Questions frequently asked by applicants are answered here.
Student Selection Criteria
Our program has a rolling admission process and applicants will be informed as soon as completed applications are reviewed.
To be eligible for the SMLP, an applicant must:
- Be an undergraduate college student
- Be a U.S. Citizen, hold a permanent resident visa, or be a DACA (Dreamer) recipient)
- Come from a disadvantaged background (i.e. economically disadvantaged background, racial and ethnic groups that have been historically underrepresented in medicine or from parts of the country such as rural areas, first generation college student, meet the American with Disabilities Act requirements and/or identify as LGBTQIA)
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Submit a strong personal statement and strong letters of recommendation (2)
- Demonstrate a serious interest in a medical career
- Note: preference is given to veterans, surviving spouses or children of a veteran killed in the line of duty
- No applications will be accepted after February 5th, 2020.
For more information contact:
Kristina Dobrovic, SMLP Coordinator