Scott A. Syverud, MD
Professor of Emergency Medicine
President, Clinical Staff
P.O. Box 800699
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0699
Phone: (434) 924-8485
Fax: (434) 924-2877
- BS, Physical Science, Michigan State University (1977)
- MD, State University of New York Syracuse (1981)
- Residency, Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati (1983)
- Fellowship, Cardiovascular Research, University of Cincinnati (1984)
- Chief Residency, Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati (1985)
Clinical and Research Interests
- Undergraduate and graduate medical education
- Practice management in Emergency Medicine
- Forensic nursing
- President, University of Virginia Clinical Staff
- UVA Haiti Relief Team Member (2010)
- President, Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (1999 – 2000)
Most Recent Publications
- Minak J, Syverud SA, Dillingham R, Dort K; Gessner A: Patient perceptions of HIV Testing in a Non-urban Emergency Department’s Express Care. Hong Kong Journal of Emergency Medicine, 20: 161-165, 2013.
- Borek H, Carlberg D, Holstege C, Syverud SA: Survival of Acute Hypernatremia Due to Massive Soy Sauce Ingestion, Journal of Emergency Medicine, 45:228-231, 2013.
- Carlberg D, Borek H, Syverud SA, Holstege C: Survival of Acute Hypernatremia Due to Massive Soy Sauce Ingestion. Journal of Emergency Medicine, 45: 228-231, 2013.
- Sorensen EL, Keeling A, Snyder A, Syverud SA: Decreasing ED Length of Stay with Use of the Ottawa Ankle Rules Among Nurses. Journal of Emergency Nursing 38: 350-352, 2012.
- Larese SR, Snyder AE, Gorman E, Syverud SA: Exposing Novice Medical and Nursing Students to Point of Care Sonographic Skills. Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, 28:2, pp 91-94, 2012
- Syverud SA: A Mission Statement for Emergency Medicine. American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 30:628, May 2012.
- Maling, B., Snyder, A., Deivert, M., Syverud, S., and Larese, S. Sonographic FAST and Internal Jugular Line Insertion Simulations: Exposing Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Students to Hands-On Skills. Submitted for publication 2012