What is Geriatrics?
Geriatrics medicine focuses on achieving the highest possible level of physical and functional well-being for older adults, as well as on preventing disability and disease and promoting independence as aging occurs.
What is the Role of a Geriatrician?
A geriatrician is a primary care physician who has advanced training in the health issues of adults 65 and older.
Why Seek a Provider Trained in Geriatrics?
To maximize health and productivity, and for expert care on issues affecting older adults, including:
- Changes in physical abilities or mental status, such as memory
- Susceptibility to falls or falling, and strategies to prevent them
- Effective management of multiple medical problems and/or multiple medications
- Relieving the burden on family members who a
- re caregivers
Services Offered By UVA Geriatricians:
- Geriatric assessment
- Neurocognitive assessment
- Pain management and rehabilitative evaluation and treatment
- Comprehensive primary health care