Dominic Maggio MD
M.D., University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami FL, 2013
MBA, University of Miami School of Business, 2012
B.S., University of Miami, Miami FL, 2008
Major: Neurobiology, Minor: Chemistry
Research Associate, 2006-2013
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery, Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. Dr. Damien Pearse, PhD, Associate Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery.
CEO, NEVA Scientific, LLC 2011-13
Responsible for corporate strategy for the introduction of emulsified volatile anesthetics into hospitals and emergency systems across the nation.
Ophysio, Inc 2011-13
Assist with corporate strategy for the introduction of a cell culture apparatus that uses air-permeable perfluorocarbon-silicon membrane.
Investigating pathways to decrease inflammation after spinal cord injury involving inducible nitric oxide synthase. Restoring locomotion by transplanting genetically modified Schwann cells after contusive spinal cord injury.
Recent Publications from US National Library of Medicine and PubMed
– Awarded the Christopher Reeve Summer 2006 Scholarship from the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.
– Awarded the Lois Pope Summer 2007 Scholarship from University of Miami Neuroscience Department.
– Awarded the Drs. Carl and Barbara Alving Endowed Biomedical Research Award at 2009 Annual Eastern-Atlantic Student Research Forum for poster presentation of Neuro-protective and –plastic effects of Valproate and Rolipram after Spinal Cord Injury.
– Awarded Best Research Project at the Florida Medical Association’s 2009 annual meeting competition for poster presentation of Identifying the long-term role of iNOS in contusive spinal cord injury using a transgenic mouse model.
– Awarded second prize in 2012 University of Miami Business Plan Competition for Ophysio, Inc. business plan