Pediatric Palliative Care
Pediatric Palliative Care Is
- The active total care of children with serious illness focused on providing relief of pain and other symptoms while improving the quality of life for both the patient and the family
- Appropriate at any age and at any stage in a serious illness for a child at home or in the hospital, and can be provided along with curative treatment by a multidisciplinary team
- Guidance for families in determining goals of care and making medical decisions that are most in line with their values, traditions and culture.
Who Can Receive Pediatric Palliative Care?
- Has your child been diagnosed with a life-threatening or life-limiting illness or Are you pregnant with a baby who has been diagnosed with a life-limiting defect or syndrome?
- Has there been a decline in your child’s medical condition?
- Are your child’s hospital stays becoming more frequent?
- Are your child’s pain and associated symptoms becoming difficult to manage?
It’s never too early to start palliative care. In fact, palliative care can take place at the same time as other treatments for your child’s illness. It does not depend upon the course or stage of your child’s illness.
If you have any of these concerns, ask for the Pediatric Palliative Care Team to be consulted.
We Can Offer
- Pain/Symptom management
- Care planning
- Emotional and spiritual support
- The care that seeks to improve the quality of life for the patient and family
- An extra layer of support during a difficult time
How to Reach Us
To request a consult or to speak with a team member of the Pediatric Palliative Care Team ask your doctor or nurse to make a referral
Call 434-924-0000, PIC #1244.