Pediatric Research Resources
Vice Chair for Academic Affairs
Victoria F. Norwood, M.D.
Director, Clinical Research
W. Gerald Teague, M.D.
Director, Resident Research Program
Martha A. Hellems, M.D., M.S.
Clinical Research Coordinator
- Research Elective
- Journal Club
- Research Mentors and Projects
- Resident Publications
- Statistics Resources
- Advocacy Program
Getting started on a research project?
Information on the University IRB Site can help you determine which IRB applies to your research. The appropriate board must approve all research projects. Get started on the approval process early! A good place to start is the IRB Research Guidance document.
Before participating in any research, you must complete a human subjects research CITI training module (certification good for 3 years).
The IRB has an online Protocol Builder that will create a blank Word template of the appropriate paperwork. Go to the link above, request a password, and create a template.
- Federal Economic Stimulus Funding Opportunities | VP for Research | NIH
- HS Library – For Researchers | For Grant Seekers
- UVAHS Private Funding Opportunities Database
- SOM Office for Research
- SOM Office of Grants and Contracts
- UVA Children’s Hospital Grants
Guidelines and Application
- National Science Foundation
- NIH National Center for Research Resources: Funding Sources
- NIH Office of Extramural Research
- AAP Resident Research Grant Program awards grants of up to $2000; applications due in February each year
- The Community Access to Child Health (CATCH) Resident Funds program supports pediatric residents in planning of community-based child health initiatives; grants of up to $3,000 awarded twice each year
- Other Grants
Resident Journal Club – 3rd Thursday, 12:15-1:00 PM
- Support for Basic and Clinical Research in the UVA SOM (Fox/Turner, Sep 2012)
- Health Sciences Library
OVID/Medline | For Researchers
Using Refworks with Pubmed
- UVA Pediatric Clinical Trials
- Research at UVA | VP for Research
- SOM Office for Research
- SOM Clinical Trials Office
- CenterWatch Clinical Trials Listings
- UVA Research Cores Handbook
- HS Library (bibliographic software – EndNote, ReferenceManager, PowerPoint)
- ITC – database courses (Excel, Access, more)
- UVA Libraries has online dictionaries and links to style manuals and writing references
- Strunk and White’s Elements of Style
- Writer’s Handbook, U Wisconsin includes tips on improving writing style and editing to reduce grammar errors
- Tips on Revising Prose
- Writing Informative Abstracts for Journal Articles
- Writing for Publication in Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine includes useful ideas for medical writing for any forum
- Reporting Statistical Information in Medical Journal Articles
- Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals
- Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals: Sample References