Research presented in two recent papers published by Assistant Professor Aaron Yao has gotten attention both locally and nationally. The publications in the journals Health Affairs and The Journal of Rural health bring attention to the increase in colon cancer screenings brought about by the Affordable Care Act and a lack of in-home care for the home-bound and elderly patient populations, as well as a significant disparity in cancer rates in rural Appalachia.
- The Daily Progress: Through scholarship, UVa helps expand pool of potential nurses
- UVA Today: New Study Finds Homebound, Elderly Patients Missing Out on In-Home Care
- NBC News: Obamacare Saved Thousands From Colon Cancer Death, Report Finds
- UVA Today: Affordable Care Act Made Some Cancer Screenings More Accessible
- fivethirtyeight.com: Cancer rates are dropping but not in rural Appalachia