Department of Public Health Sciences
P.O. Box 800765, Charlottesville, VA 22903-0765
560 Ray C Hunt Drive (Ivy Translational Research Building). Office 2107
home-centered care; elderly care; cancer care
home-centered care; health policy; health administration; academic writing
- Click for all English publications
- Use of Home-Based Medical Care and Disparities. Journal of American Geriatrics Society. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15444
- An exploratory study of networks constructed using access data from an electronic health record. J Interprof Care. 2018 Jul 17:1-8. doi: 10.1080/13561820.2018.1496902.
- Affordable Care Act Changes To Medicare Led To Increased Diagnoses Of Early-Stage Colorectal Cancer Among Seniors. Health Affairs. 2017. 36 (1): 101-107.
- Increasing Role of Nurse Practitioners in House Call Programs. Journal of American Geriatrics Society. 2016. doi:10.1111/jgs.14698
- Cancer Disparities in Rural Appalachia: Incidence, Early Detection, and Survivorship. Journal of Rural Health. 2016 doi: 10.1111/jrh.12213.
- Geographic Concentration of US Home-Based Medical Care Providers. Health Affairs. 2016: 35(8) 1404-1409
- Adoption of ipilimumab in the United States: a Medicare study, Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research. 2016 DOI: 10.1080/14737167.2016.1180979.
- Patterns of cancer screening, incidence and treatment disparities in China: protocol for a population-based study. BMJ Open. 2016 Aug 4;6(8):e012028. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012028.
- Breast Cancer Screening Rates, Area Deprivation, and Percentage of Later Stage Breast Cancer in Appalachia: Does Geography Matter? Health Service Research. 2014;49(2):546-67. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12108. PMID: 24117371. PMC3976186
- Mammography Use after the 2009 Debate. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014 Dec 10;32(35):4023-4.
- Radiation Therapy Resources and Guideline-Concordant Radiotherapy For Early Stage Breast Cancer Patients in Appalachia. Health Service Research. 2013; 48: 1433–1449. DOI: 10.1111/1475-6773.12047.
Selected Media Reports:
Home-based medical care
- Reuters: Too few doctors make house calls to homebound elderly
- Modern Healthcare: When patients need house calls, there may be no doctors nearby
- Stateline: House Calls Might Save Medicaid Money for States
- American Journal of Managed Care: Home-Based Medical Care Is Concentrated Away From Most Homebound Patients
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: House calls in the Medicare program show benefits for patients and costs
- HealthDay: Most Sick, Aging Americans Live Far From In-Home Care
- Oregan Business: Home health market responds to aging population
- UVA Today: Nurse Practitioners Step In to Fill Need for House Calls
- Kuwait Times: Too few doctors make house calls to homebound elderly
- Cluster Salud – América Economía: Pocos médicos hacen visitas a domicilio
- The Daily Progress: Through scholarship, UVa helps expand pool of potential nurses
- National Association for Home Care & Hospice: Nurse Practitioners Fill Growing Need for Home Visits
- Home Health Care News: Why Home Health Should Embrace Nurse Practitioners
- CBS19: Study finds more nurse practitioners making house calls to elderly
- Contemporary Clinic: House Calls for Geriatric Patients Increase Among Nurse Practitioners
- McKnight’s Senior Living: More NPs could be solution to senior living care challenges, study says
- Hospitals & Health Networks: Nurse Practitioner Turning Point
- UVA Today: New Study Finds Homebound, Elderly Patients Missing Out on In-Home Care
- NPR WMRA： Are Doctor Home Visits Making a Comeback?
- WMRA: Are Doctor Home Visits Making a Comeback?
ACA prevention provisions and cancer early detection
- NBC News: Obamacare Saved Thousands From Colon Cancer Death, Report Finds
- Reuters: Researchers credit Obamacare with helping find early-stage cancer
- Modern Healthcare: Prevention benefits at risk with an Obamacare repeal
- UPI: Cancer screenings more accessible with Affordable Care Act
- MedicalResearch: ACA Medicare Changes Increased Diagnosis of Early-Stage Colorectal Cancer Among Seniors
- UVA Today: Affordable Care Act Made Some Cancer Screenings More Accessible
Cancer disparities in rural Appalachia
- UVA Facebook Live: What we can do about the cancer crisis in rural Appalachia?
- FiveThirtyEight: Cancer Rates Are Dropping — But Not In Rural Appalachia
- ASCO Post: Stemming the Growing Cancer Crisis in Rural Appalachia
- Richmond Times-Dispatch: An ‘unseen cancer crisis’ in Appalachia
- HealthDay: Rural Appalachia Faces Growing Cancer Crisis, Research Shows
- CBS19: New research finds disturbing trends in cancer care in rural Appalachia
- NPR: UVA Researchers Say Appalachia Has Gone From Lowest to Highest Cancer Death Rate in U.S.
- Adventist Health: Rural Appalachia Faces Growing Cancer Crisis
- UVA Today: Appalachia’s Unseen Cancer Crisis
- UVA Today: Cancer Researcher: ‘Call Congress’ to Address Appalachian Disparities