Clerkship Committee Minutes 08/21/2017

August 30, 2017 by blm8e@virginia.edu

University of Virginia School of Medicine

Clerkship Director Meeting

Minutes – 08.21.17

MCBR, #2700 5:00 p.m.

Present (underlined) were: Vaia Abatzis, Nassima Ait-Daoud Tiouririne, Ashok Asthagiri, Jonathan Black, Megan Bray, Catherine Casey, Huai Cheng, Katherine Fedder, Thomas Gampper, Maryellen Gusic, Evan Heald, Pam Herrington, Molly Hughes, Eugene McGahren, John McNeil, Alex Millard, Mark Moody, Yvonne Newberry, Anneke Schroen, Binit Shah, Ryan Smith, Guillermo Solorzano, Heather Streich, Amita Sudhir, William Wilson, David Craig, Rebecca Hensley, LeAnn Hopkins, Freda McClung, Lisa Morton, Debbie Perry, KarenMarie Smith, Jessica Tawney, Heather Trainum, Karen Ward, Kyle Williams, Nell Brooks-Harlow, Bobbi May (Administrative Cord.)

CPD Director Transition. Nancy McDaniel is retiring and has stepped down as CPD Director. Dr. Margaret Plews-Ogan has been elected to this position, and will eventually assume the role of Clerkship Committee, Chair. Dr. Bray will act as interim Chair, and asked members to prepare their nominations to elect a co-chair from within this Committee. This individual will also hold a position on the Curriculum Committee.

New Date for Clerkship Director Meetings. Several Curriculum Committee members attend the Clerkship Director meetings as well. In an effort to provide a smooth transition from one meeting to the next, all future Director meetings will now occur on the 3rd Monday of the month, in Medical Center Board Room, #2700. (In the event of a holiday, etc. the meeting will take place on the next available Monday. Notices will be sent in the event of change/cancelation.)

Outlook Calendar Invitations. As mentioned above, all meetings will now occur on the 3rd Monday of the month. Bobbi May will send an Outlook invitation for each scheduled meeting, (9 tentatively scheduled.)

INOVA Joint Visit Meeting. A very successful visit took place at INOVA on June 7. Deans, Directors and Counterparts met, toured the facilities, and discussed current processes and best practices. This marks the first group visit to our new “Regional Campus.”

Clerkship Specific Encounters, Skills Tracking, and Verification – Gusic. Dr, Gusic noted, it has been six-months since clerkship specific encounters and skills were loaded into Oasis. Unfortunately, not all clerkships have 100% student compliance. Dr. Gusic asked for input on how to increase faculty sign-off for student-specific encounters and reiterated; of individual items to be completed by students, no more than 10% may be of simulation in nature, (simulated encounters, online cases or instruction.) Formal reports will be run semi-annually to ensure students are able to meet curricular requirements and deficiencies or adjustments to curricular items will be noted and corrected.  Directors are asked to keep any forms of curricular modification to use in the future. Some discussion centered on sign-offs being more easily accessible to ease completion of documentation. Some faculty and residents may need to be directed to the sign-off page within Oasis. Students should be strongly encouraged to enter information in a timely manner so that the faculty and residents are able to recall if they witnessed an encounter. This is vital since a student may not sit for the shelf exam unless they have 100% completion of these specific encounters.

Oasis Course Evaluation – Professionalism Scale. Dr. Bray noted that the scale on the final course evaluation is listed incorrectly and will be updated as soon as possible. An email was sent to the 3rd year class to notify them of this. Please mention in your upcoming orientation sessions that the students should pay particular attention to this scale to ensure they are completing it correctly.

Gradebook Terminology. Several months ago, clerkships were asked to unify the terms within their gradebook to ensure all data is consistent and being pulled accurately into the Data Warehouse.  These terms/topics must be exact in order for all like data to be assessed and should, therefore, be checked/corrected immediately. This information also feeds directly into the MSPE. Terminology to be used: Clinical Evaluation, Shelf Exam, Final Exam (if no shelf), Quiz, Project/Topic Presentation, H&P, Clinical Performance Exam. Secondly, percentages should be entered under each of these headings. (The total percentage that goes into a clinical evaluation etc.) Furthermore, comments and final paragraphs should be entered within Oasis and not within the Gradebook. (Green box goes directly to MSPE, Lavender box-cut & paste to Student Grades.)

ACTION: Coordinators will be contacted to ensure these terms are identical.

Note: The next meeting is the Joint Clerkship Meeting: Wednesday, September 27, in CMMEB.

 

Filed Under: Clerkship/PostClerkship Committee Minutes