Who We Are:
Women in Math and Science is a group of people who think women can be great and valuable scientists. Therefore, we support women in their science-related endeavors. We strive to create awareness of issues affecting career development and success, to centralize resources available for career and personal development, and to promote service outside of the University community for young scientists.
To sign up for our listserv, please send us an email at email@example.com, and we encourage you to join us for any and all of our events!
Happy Hour with GBS: June 27th, 5-7 PM at the Biltmore
- WIMS is once again teaming up with GBS and the Biltmore to host a happy hour. There will be free appetizers, free temporary tattoos, shirts for sale, and drink specials with the purchase of a WIMS cup!
Women’s 4-Miler: September 3rd, 2016
- WIMS has formed a team for the Charlottesville Women’s 4-Miler! Keep an eye our for fundraising events as the race gets closer.
- To sign up for the race, please visit the race website: http://uvahf.convio.net/site/TR?fr_id=1070&pg=entry
- To join our team or donate you can visit our team page: http://uvahf.convio.net/site/TR/Womens4Miler/General?team_id=1813&pg=team&fr_id=1100
Habitat for Humanity: September 24th, 2016
- WIMS will be getting together to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity of Charlottesville. We’d love to have you come volunteer with us! Either keep an eye our for an email or let us know by sending us an email.
Women Building Bio: September 29th, 2016 10 AM – 5 PM Fairfax VA
- VA Bio is holding a full day event focused on women working together to build stronger research communities. WIMS will be organizing a carpool to the event so keep your eyes out for an email closer to the date.
UVA STEM Day: Fall 2016, date TBD
- A select group of students will be invited to VUA for an afternoon of STEM engagement activities. WIMS will be helping set up some of these activities, and we’ll keep you updated on the details of the event as it gets closer.
Diaper Drive w/ UVA’s Baby Lab: Ongoing
- For more information, please visit the website: http://uvababylab.org/baby-lab-outreach-summer-diaper-drive/
What We Do:
- Local Albemarle elementary school visits for science presentations
- Habitat for Humanity
- Charlottesville Women’s 4-miler participation and fundraising
- Holiday stocking drive
- Promoting Women in Science
- Sponsoring career oriented events
- Women in Science Stories
- Parental leave policy for graduate students
- Social events and Fundraising
- Happy hours
- Selling cups and t-shirts
- Derby Dames volunteering
WIMS is geared toward all graduate students in the math and sciences, and we encourage all interested parties to attend events.