Ani W. Manichaikul
Graduate School: Johns Hopkins University
Primary Appointment: Associate Professor, Public Health Sciences
Statistical genetics; Genetic epidemiology; Genetic analysis of multi-ethnic and admixed populations; Multi-omics (including gene expression, proteomics and DNA methylation); Biostatistics; Translational research
Email Address: email@example.com
My research lies in the areas of statistical genetics and genetic epidemiology with an emphasis on 1) analysis of genome-wide association and whole genome sequence analysis of multi-ethnic cohort studies, 2) gene-based analysis of rare variants, 3) quantitative trait mapping in experimental crosses, and 4) translational research efforts bridging mouse and human studies.
I am actively involved in genome-wide association analysis of cardiovascular phenotypes and genome-wide interaction studies performed through the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Recent research efforts focus on genome-wide association and whole genome sequence analysis of cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis and the NHLBI Trans-omics for Precision Medicine (TOPMed) Program, fine-mapping of candidate gene regions to identify potential causal variants of interest, and translational research efforts in collaboration with basic scientists performing targeted functional studies. We are also performing post-GWAS research, including fine mapping studies, and candidate gene investigations with collaborators who are experts in animal models and in vitro studies of more focused genetic pathways.
- Yang C, Hallmark B, Chai JC, O’Connor TD, Reynolds LM, Wood AC, Seeds M, Chen YI, Steffen LM, Tsai MY, Kaplan RC, Daviglus ML, Mandarino LJ, Fretts AM, Lemaitre RN, Coletta DK, Blomquist SA, Johnstone LM, Tontsch C, Qi Q, Ruczinski I, Rich SS, Mathias RA, Chilton FH, Manichaikul A. Impact of Amerind ancestry and FADS genetic variation on omega-3 deficiency and cardiometabolic traits in Hispanic populations. Commun Biol. 2021 Jul 28;4(1):918. doi: 10.1038/s42003-021-02431-4.
- Taliun D, Harris DN, Kessler MD, Carlson J, Szpiech ZA, Torres R, Taliun SAG, Corvelo A, Gogarten SM, Kang HM, Pitsillides AN, LeFaive J, Lee SB, Tian X, Browning BL, Das S, Emde AK, Clarke WE, Loesch DP, Shetty AC, Blackwell TW, Smith AV, Wong Q, Liu X, Conomos MP, Bobo DM, …, Manichaikul A, …, Arnett DK, Ashley-Koch AE, Barnes KC, Boerwinkle E, Gabriel S, Gibbs R, Rice KM, Rich SS, Silverman EK, Qasba P, Gan W; NHLBI Trans-Omics for Precision Medicine (TOPMed) Consortium, Papanicolaou GJ, Nickerson DA, Browning SR, Zody MC, Zöllner S, Wilson JG, Cupples LA, Laurie CC, Jaquish CE, Hernandez RD, O’Connor TD, Abecasis GR. Sequencing of 53,831 diverse genomes from the NHLBI TOPMed Program. 2021 Feb;590(7845):290-299. doi: 10.1038/s41586-021-03205-y.
- Myc L, Qing K, He M, Tustison N, Lin Z, Manichaikul AW, Patrie J, Cassani J, Nunoo-Asare RN, Huang Y, Obaida Z, Tafti S, Ropp AM, Miller GW, Mata J, Altes T, Mugler J, Shim YM. Characterisation of gas exchange in COPD with dissolved-phase hyperpolarised xenon-129 MRI. 2021 Feb;76(2):178-181. doi: 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2020-214924.
- Zhao X, Qiao D, Yang C, Kasela S, Kim W, Ma Y, Shrine N, Batini C, Sofer T, Taliun SAG, Sakornsakolpat P, Balte PP, Prokopenko D, Yu B, Lange LA, Dupuis J, Cade BE, Lee J, Gharib SA, Daya M, Laurie CA, Ruczinski I, Cupples LA, Loehr LR, Bartz TM, Morrison AC, Psaty BM, Vasan RS, Wilson JG, Taylor KD, Durda P, Johnson WC, Cornell E, Guo X, Liu Y, Tracy RP, Ardlie KG, Aguet F, VanDenBerg DJ, Papanicolaou GJ, Rotter JI, Barnes KC, Jain D, Nickerson DA, Muzny DM, Metcalf GA, Doddapaneni H, Dugan-Perez S, Gupta N, Gabriel S, Rich SS, O’Connor GT, Redline S, Reed RM, Laurie CC, Daviglus ML, Preudhomme LK, Burkart KM, Kaplan RC, Wain LV, Tobin MD, London SJ, Lappalainen T, Oelsner EC, Abecasis GR, Silverman EK, Barr RG; NHLBI Trans-Omics for Precision Medicine (TOPMed) Consortium; TOPMed Lung Working Group, Cho MH, Manichaikul A. Nat Commun. Whole genome sequence analysis of pulmonary function and COPD in 19,996 multi-ethnic participants. 2020 Oct 14;11(1):5182. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-18334-7.
- Complete List of Published Work in MyBibliography: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/16YNjGcoGp-QE/bibliography/52041863/public/?sort=date&direction=descending
PubMed listing for this faculty member
Mailing Address: PO Box 800717, Charlottesville, VA 22908