Ani W. Manichaikul
I perform data driven research in complex trait genetics for both human and experimental populations. Recent research efforts focus on genome-wide association mapping of cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis, fine-mapping of candidate gene regions to identify potential causal variants of interest, and translational research efforts in collaboration with basic scientists performing targeted functional studies.
Email Address: email@example.com
My research lies in the areas of statistical genetics and genetic epidemiology with an emphasis on 1) analysis of genome-wide association studies in the multi-ethnic cohort studies, 2) gene-based analysis of rare variants, 3) quantitative trait mapping in experimental crosses, and 4) translational research efforts bridging mouse and human studies.
I am actively involved in genome-wide association analysis of cardiovascular phenotypes and genome-wide interaction studies performed through the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). We are also performing post-GWAS research, including fine mapping studies, and candidate gene investigations with collaborators who are experts in animal models and in vitro studies of more focused genetic pathways.
- Manichaikul A, Rich SS, Perry H, Yeboah J, Law M, Davis M, Parker M, Ragosta M, Connelly JJ, McNamara CA, Taylor AM (2014) A functionally significant polymorphism in ID3 is associated with human coronary pathology. PLoS One. 9(3):e90222.
- Manichaikul A, Hoffman EA, Smolonska J, Gao W, Cho MH, Baumhauer H, Budoff M, Austin JH, Washko GR, Carr JJ, Kaufman JD, Pottinger T, Powell CA, Wijmenga C, Zanen P, Groen HJ, Postma DS, Wanner A, Rouhani FN, Brantly ML, Powell R, Smith BM, Rabinowitz D, Raffel LJ, Hinckley Stukovsky KD, Crapo JD, Beaty TH, Hokanson JE, Silverman EK, Dupuis J, O’Connor GT, Boezen HM, Rich SS, Barr RG (2014) Genome-wide study of percent emphysema on computed tomography in the general population. The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis Lung/SNP Health Association Resource Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 189(4):408-18.
- Manichaikul A, Naj AC, Herrington D, Post W, Rich SS, Rodriguez A (2012) Association of SCARB1 variants with subclinical atherosclerosis and incident cardiovascular disease: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 32(8):1991-9.
- Manichaikul A, Palmas W, Rodriguez CJ, Peralta CA, Divers J, Guo X, Chen WM, Wong Q, Williams K, Kerr KF, Taylor KD, Tsai MY, Goodarzi MO, Sale MM, Diez-Roux AV, Rich SS, Rotter JI, Mychaleckyj JC (2012) Population structure of Hispanics in the United States: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. PLoS Genet. 8(4):e1002640.
- Manichaikul A, Chen WM, Williams K, Wong Q, Sale MM, Pankow JS, Tsai MY, Rotter JI, Rich SS, Mychaleckyj JC (2012) Analysis of family- and population-based samples in cohort genome-wide association studies. Hum Genet. 131(2):275-87.
- Manichaikul A, Mychaleckyj JC, Rich SS, Daly K, Sale M, Chen WM (2010) Robust relationship inference in genome-wide association studies. Bioinformatics. 26(22):2867-73.
Mailing Address: PO Box 800717, Charlottesville, VA 22908