Introduction to the HS Calendar
Download the PDF: editing the HS Calendar – A Users Guide
Accessing the Calendar as an Editor
Go to the Calendar URL:
In the right column, click the “Calendar Administration” link, which will take you to the calendar admin interface.
You can also reach this page directly by going to this URL: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/events/index.cfm?viewtype=html
Click the login button at the upper right of that page, and enter your username and password.
After logging in, you will notice the URL changes – adding your name and a logout button in the upper right and small pencil icons to each item in the calendar. These icons are used in adding and editing events.
Adding an Event to the Calendar
To create an event, click on the pencil icon next to any date. This will pull up a window in the middle of your screen which functions as a wizard to input information about the event.
(IMPORTANT NOTE: You don’t have to go to the date where you want to add the event and click the pencil there – you will have the option of selecting a date and time when creating the event.)
In each page of this multi-page form, there are specific things to look for:
- Basic Info – This is self-explanatory except for the For Department selector. This will list the departments you have permission to add events for. Click an item in the “Available” column and click on the right arrow to move it to the “Selected” column to have the event show up in that department. You can remove the event from a department by doing the opposite.
- You will notice in addition to the normal departments, there is a department which is named with your username. This is for events which are to be seen only by you.
- Occurs – If you clicked the pencil icon on the date the event occurs, the date will be pre-populated with the correct date. Otherwise, just select the date, time and duration from this interface by clicking in the three fields and making the selections.
- The event can be set to repeat daily, weekly or monthly for a certain amount of time by clicking the radio buttons beneath the date, time and duration.
- Note: Once an event has been repeated, you can customize the time and duration of any individual occurrence.
- Details – Choose the type of event by selecting appropriate descriptions from the “Available” column and moving them to the “Selected Column” using the right arrow.
- If there is a URL for, the event, add it to the URL field, and if you add a “Teaser” this will be the event description that shows up in RSS feeds created by the calendar for this event. (If no teaser is supplied, the full description of the event will be used.)
- If this is a Continuing Medical Education event, click the “Yes” radio button.
- Speakers – Add the names and titles of speakers into the field provided.
- Audience – Select the target audience(s) for this event.
- If you check the radio button next to “No”, the event will not show up on the main calendar.
- Setting an item to not “Display on Main Calendar” means that the item will only be shown on calendars set to show that specific department. For example, an “Ice Cream Social” might be something you wanted to feature only on your department site, not on the overall Health System Calendar. By choosing your department in the Basic Info section of this window, then checking “No” under “Display on Main Calendar” for that event, you can accomplish this.
- You can also attach a file to an event by clicking on the “Browser” button next to “Attachment” and selecting a file from your computer. When you save the event, this file will be uploaded to the calendar and linked to the event.
- Registration – If attendees must register in order to attend an event, this is where you note that information. By default, “No registration is necessary” is checked.
- Contact – This tells users who to contact with questions about the event. It is important that this be the person who can answer questions – not the person who is the head of the department or the speaker.
- Save — Once this information is filled in, click the “Save” button in order to create the event. There is no need to “Save” at each tab.
- If you click “Close” all your info will be lost.
Editing an Existing Event in the Calendar
Editing existing events is very straightforward and consistent with how new events are added.
- Find the event you want to edit, and click on the time information for it (or the location or description – anything but the department field will work). This will open the same window used to enter new events; only this time it will be pre-populated with the current information for the event.
- Navigate to the appropriate tab(s) and make the desired changes.
- Then, click on “Save” to save your changes. There is no need to “Save” at each tab – only when all your changes are made.
- If you click “Close” all your changes will be lost and the event information will remain the same as it was when you started editing.
Deleting an Event
There are two ways to remove events from the calendar. The first, removing occurrences, actually gets rid of the event – the second, assigning it so only you (the editor) can see it, keeps the event available to be assigned another occurrence in the future. This should be thought of as “archiving” an event for later use.
Removing an Event by Removing All Occurrences
The easiest way to remove an event is to remove all occurrences of it from the calendar. To do this, find the event you want to remove in the list of events, click on it. This will open the window with the current information for the event. Click on the “Occurs” links
You will notice that this event has three different occurrences – Tues, Wed and Thurs.
To delete all three occurrences, click in each of the three checkboxes to the right of these events marked “Delete” then click the “Save” button below them on the page.
Note: After you save the event and delete the occurrences, you will still see the event information until you click the “Close” button at the bottom of the page. Once you click the “Close” button, all occurrences will vanish and the calendar item is deleted. Also remember that you can delete one or more occurrences and still leave some occurrences attached to the event. Only when you remove all occurrences is the event actually deleted.
Archiving an Event by Assigning It Only to Yourself
Sometimes you want an event to no longer be seen on the calendar, but you still want to save the information about the event so you can reuse it when the same event or a similar event is needed later on.
Find the event you want to archive, and click on the time information for it (or the location or description – anything but the department field will work).
This will open the window with the current information for the event.
At the bottom of the “Basic Info” page, you will see the departments this event is set to show up on the calendars for. Select each of the departments the item is assigned to the right “Selected” column, and click the left arrow to move them back to the “Available” column one at a time.
Once they have been removed, find your username in the “Available” column, select it, and click the right arrow to move it to the “Selected” column.
Once you click the “Save” button, then the “Close” button to close the window, your event will vanish from the main calendar and all department calendars. It is only visible to you in the admin view available to you as a calendar editor.
If you want to reuse the event in the future, just find it in your admin view, create new occurrences for it, and re-assign it to a department or departments where it will then show up.