The promotion and tenure dossier is your application to be promoted and/or granted tenure.
To assist you in developing your dossier:
- speak with your mentor, department chair and/or division chief about content and reach out to P&T experts with questions;
- view P&T educational video modules under “For Faculty”
- attend a “Polishing Your Portfolio” session in May.
- use the P&T Dossier Checklists to review materials before submission
Your CV, personal statement, and list of referees are due to your department in May. Please check with your department for their specific deadline.
CV for P&T
- View the current CV file format here.
- CVs submitted in other formats will not be accepted.
- Do not report impact factors for journals in which you publish or your H-index. These parameters should not be in your promotion materials.
- The date of the most recent revision and page numbers should be included as a header or footer.
- Publications and other extensive lists should be numbered.
- Be sure to view the video presentation Format and Content of Your CV Video (view presentation slides). Learn what content is recommended for your CV and how to format it as you prepare for promotion and tenure.
View personal statement guidelines and examples from previous P&T candidates. There are new requirements for the personal statements that are detailed on the personal statement page.
View the referee letter requirements. There are new requirements for referee lists that are detailed on the referee page. These requirements are different based on your P&T action and track; please review them carefully.
Your portfolios provide documentation of excellence as required by your SOM track and promotion or tenure action. Sample portfolio submissions are available for guidance.
The research portfolio consists of a research narrative (5 pages max) followed by scholarship and contributions & service to research.
- All faculty in the School of Medicine are encouraged to compile a teaching portfolio to document activities and accomplishments related to education in the health sciences.
- For documentation of excellence in teaching, you must include teaching evaluations in your portfolio.
- The teaching portfolio has three parts: a short introductory section (one page or less) summarizing your teaching activities; a main body with detailed information about your contributions as an educator; an appendix with teaching evaluations and other documentation of teaching excellence.
The clinical portfolio consists of a clinical narrative (2 pages max) followed by five additional sections.
To obtain Press Ganey patient satisfaction scores for your promotion and tenure portfolio, please contact your department P&T coordinator. They can provide you with your Press Ganey report or submit a request to the Patient Experience Office for the scores. The Patient Experience Office would like departments to request Press Ganey reports for all of their P&T candidates at one time. They will provide Press Ganey data tailored for P&T.
To obtain your own Press Ganey data for informational purposes, please contact the Patient Experience Office directly: PatientExperience@uvahealth.org
Documentation of service
Integrated into applicable portfolios.
Documentation of scholarship
Choose and submit three PDF publications or books and include a paragraph discussing why the publications were selected. Please briefly explain why you chose the three publications, including a brief description of their significance. If a selected publication is a book, please provide two copies, if possible. They will be returned.