DISCUSSION – Cost Share / Companion Accounts
- Voluntary vs Mandatory
- Committed vs Uncommitted
- What to include on the ePRF
- What to do with your CS account once it’s created
DISCUSSION – Training Sessions
- What are your “Top 5”? (survey forthcoming)
- Budgeting/Budget Development
- Training Grants
- Cost share and Minimum Effort requirements
- LD Scheduling and Effort Certification
- Human Subjects compliance for administrators
- Post-Award transactions (cost transfers, deficit reporting, allowable expenditures/FCER)
- Outgoing subawards (life cycle from proposal to closeout)
- eSPAR transactions
NIH Notice NOT-OD-20-178 https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-20-178.html
- NIH is announcing a requirement for institutions receiving institutional research training, career development and research education awards to submit the Trainee Diversity Report required with Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPRs), Interim Final RPPRs, and Final RPPRs electronically, using a new option that will be provided in the xTrain and RPPR modules in early FY 2021 (beginning 30 October 2020)
NIH Notice NOT-OD-20-174 https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-20-174.html
- Hyperlinks and URLs are only allowed when specifically noted in funding opportunity announcement (FOA) and form field instructions. The use of hyperlinks is typically limited to citing relevant publications in biosketches and publication lists. It is highly unusual for a FOA to allow links in Specific Aims, Research Strategy and other page-limited attachments.
- Concerns: reviewer confidentiality, overstuffing of page limited sections, review consistency, malware
Where we usually see unallowable hyperlinks: Facilities and Other Resources, Equipment, Vertebrate Animals, Resource Sharing, Authentication of Resources, Letters of Support
SOM has consolidated review of outgoing datasets to the SOM Research & Data Analytics Team.
- Requests for review are to be submitted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A $70 fee will be assessed for reviews taking more than one hour.
- New SOM form – explanation/justification required for all requests
REMINDERS & Updates
Point-of-Contact for approvals from other Schools on ePRFs:
- Architecture – Jen Lucas email@example.com
- Arts & Sciences – Neal Grandy firstname.lastname@example.org
- Batten – James Cathro email@example.com
- Biocomplexity – Edwina Lamm firstname.lastname@example.org
- Data Science – Carey Reinicke email@example.com
- Education – Catherine Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Engineering – SEAS Pre-Award email@example.com
- Nursing – Michelle Butler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provost’s Office – Eduardo Lorente email@example.com
eSPARs are NOT required for Final RPPRs.
- The PI should route the fRPPR in Commons and we will log it internally to our work queue.
- No administrative documents are needed.
Any action relating to an Outgoing Subaward should be submitted via firstname.lastname@example.org on the Subaward Request Form (SRF).
- eSPARs should NOT be used for any Outgoing Subaward transactions (including moving funds from old subaward projects back to master projects)
Registration is open for the NIH Virtual Seminar https://nihvirtualseminar2020.vfairs.com/
Additional free professional development opportunities
- National Science Foundation Fall 2020 Virtual Grants Conference. Weeks of November 16th and November 30th. Registration opens October 29th at 12 pm EST. https://nsfpolicyoutreach.com/fall-20-virtual-conf/
- National Conference on College Cost Accounting (NACCA). November 9th-10th. https://www.ncura.edu/nacca/Registration.aspx
- The New School’s NYC Research Administration Demonstration (RAD) Series. Already started, the next session is on October 12th. https://www.researchnewschool.com/rad-series
SOMOGC’s Holiday Calendar
- We will be closed in accordance with all University holidays. Please plan proposal and transaction submissions accordingly, remembering that internal deadlines are based on business days.
Emergency contact information will be made available for the winter holidays (December 24th – January 3rd)
Budget Workgroup update
- First meeting was October 13th. We brainstormed ideas and discussed creating a comprehensive template that could be used for proposal development + post-award management (LD scheduling, subawards, internal subprojects).
- We will review available templates before the next meeting and choose a model to build from. If you have a template that you would like to submit for consideration, please send it to Lauren Armstrong by Monday, October 19th.
Download the update document here