Commitment to Diversity
Date: August 25, 2020
Assistant Dean for Medical Education
School of Medicine, Office of Educational Affairs
PO Box 800005
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0005
Dean of the School of Medicine
PO Box 800793
Charlottesville, VA 22908
School of Medicine faculty, staff, residents, and students
Reason for Policy:
The University of Virginia School of Medicine recognizes that racism contributes to a public health crisis and is committed to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion and has implemented policies, procedures, and a strategic plan to help support these values throughout the school. The SOM is committed to implementing concrete actions aimed at recruitment and retention of faculty, medical residents, staff, and students whose diverse identities, backgrounds, or experience will bring value to the educational and clinical experience of the school.This policy states the SOM commitment to and expectations regarding diversity.
The value of diversity and inclusion is incorporated into our institution’s mission, values, and strategy. At the University of Virginia we are committed to academic excellence and recognize that incorporating, understanding, and appreciating differences is essential to culturally competent education and health care. Diversity of life experience, thought and ideas is essential in achieving excellence in all that we do, as is a health care workforce that is trained and prepared to lead, live, and work effectively in such an environment. Through curricular initiatives and a commitment to holistic approaches to recruiting, pipeline, admissions and hiring processes, our learners, staff, and faculty achieve cultural competency and humility.
Faculty, residents, staff, and students at the UVA SOM will participate in and support diversity and inclusion. Learning experiences and applications have the mission of training health professionals and creating and sharing health knowledge within culture that promotes equity, diversity, and inclusiveness, with the goal of providing excellence, innovation
and superlative quality in the care of patients. This will be achieved by embracing a shared vision and values, and acting in accordance.
Vision: In all that we do, we work to benefit human health and improve the quality of life. We will be:
- Our local community’s provider of choice for its healthcare needs
- A national leader in quality, patient safety, service and compassionate care
- The leading provider of technologically advanced, ground-breaking care throughout Virginia
- Recognized for translating research discoveries into improvements in clinical care and patient outcomes
- Fostering innovative care delivery and teaching/training models that respond to the evolving health environment
- A leader in training students and faculty in providing health care free of disparity
Values: This institution exists to serve others, and does so through the expression of our core values to which we ASPIRE:
- Accountability: Acknowledging and assuming responsibility for where we have succeeded and failed interms of our actions, decisions, policies and results
- Stewardship: Responsibly and carefully managing our resources and commitment to continual improvement and learning while acknowledging shortcomings or problems in our quest
- Professionalism:Approaching all that we do in a collaborative way, delivering excellent care through the lens of helpfulness, positivity, kindness and competency
- Integrity:Being honest, open and fair through our behaviors, attitude and treatment of others
- Respect:Being mindful of building a diverse and inclusive environment while showing compassion for everyone through our caring and intentional ways
- Excellence:Conducting ourselves in a manner that surpasses ordinary standards through preparation, collaboration and proactivity in all that we do
The School of Medicine seeks to recruit, support, nourish, and grow faculty, residents, staff, and students from all racial or ethnic groups; underrepresented groups such as persons with disabilities or gender identity or expression differences; veterans; persons with unique life experiences and challenges; first generation professionals or physicians; and Virginia citizens from rural or socioeconomically disadvantaged regions of the Commonwealth. Diversity enriches the School of Medicine in all aspects of our mission of education, service, research, and practice.
The Dean of the School of Medicine appoints a Diversity Consortium for advisory purposes, and the Diversity Consortium undertakes its work through focus groups, surveys, individual consults, and other formal and informal mechanisms.
The Diversity Strategic Plan encompasses students, residents, staff, and faculty in the School of Medicine.It addresses representation, recruitment, and retention, and identification of barriers to achievement. This is accomplished through outreach, mentorship, recognition of achievements, active affinity groups, and leadership development.
The strategic plan is available through the Office of the Dean.
Next Scheduled Review: August 2021
Revision History:Implemented October 28, 2013, revised 8/10/2017; administrative update 7/29/20; revised 8/25/20
Approved August 25, 2020, by:
David S. Wilkes, MD
Dean, UVA School of Medicine