Y. Michael Shim Lab
John L. Guerrant Associate Professor of Medicine and Radiology
UVA Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care
PO Box 800546
Charlottesville, VA 22908
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- MD, Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Northwestern University
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Northwestern University
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine, Yale University
- Fellowship, Advanced Asthma and obstructive airway disease, Yale University
- NIH/ULTR003015 (Health Effects of JUUL in Healthy Young Electronic Cigarette Users)
- NIH/NHLBI 1R01HL (Hyperpolarized Xenon-129 MRI: a new multi-dimensional biomarker to determine pulmonary physiologic responses to COPD therapeutics)
- DOD W0259_18_WR (A dual approach to combating infection by targeting the host’s inflammatory response and bacterial pathogens)
- NIH/NHLBI 1R43HL147667 (Respiratory Oxygen Adherence Monitor for COPD patient)
- Genentech (129Xe MRI assessment of disease progression in patients with COPD treated with standard of care medications with or without daily open-label azithromycin treatment to prevent acute exacerbation)
- Therapeutics and Drug Discovery
- In vivo lung imaging using hyperpolarized gas MRI
- Obstructive Lung Diseases
- Role of obesity and exercise in the pathogenesis of asthma
- Role of exercise and COPD outcomes
- Lung cancer
CURRENT LABORATORY MEMBERS
Health Effects of JUUL in Healthy Young Electronic Cigarette Users.
Hyperpolarized Xenon-129 MRI: a new multi-dimensional biomarker to determine pulmonary physiologic responses to COPD therapeutics.
A dual approach to combating infection by targeting the host’s inflammatory response and bacterial pathogens.
Respiratory Oxygen Adherence Monitor for COPD patient.
129Xe MRI assessment of disease progression in patients with COPD treated with standard of care medications with or without daily open-label azithromycin treatment to prevent acute exacerbation.
- Myc LA, Qing K, He M, Tustison N, Lin Z, Manichaikul A, Patrie J, Cassani J, Nunoo-Asare R, Huang Y, Obaida Z, Tafti S, Ropp A, Miller GW, Mata J, Altes T, Mugler JP, Shim YM. Characterization of diffusing capacity limitations in COPD with dissolved-phase hyperpolarized xenon-129 magnetic resonance imaging. Thorax, Nov 2 2020.
- Tafty S, Garrison WJ, Mugler JP, Shim YM, Altes TA, Mata JF, de Lange EE, Cates GD, Ropp AM, Wang C, Miller GW. Emphysema index based on hyperpolarized 3He or 129Xe diffusion MRI: Performance and comparison with quantitative CT and pulmonary function tests. Radiology, 2020. PMID 32779976. DOI: 10.1148/radiol.2020192804.
- Mansoor M, Obaida Z, Ballowe L, Campbell AR, Patrie JT, Byrum TD, Shim YM. Clinical impact of coordinated outpatient care on outcomes of patients with COPD. Int J of COPD 2020. PMID 32021142. DOI: 10.2147/COPD.S225156.
- Lee KH, Petruncio G, Shim A, Burdick M, Zhang Z, Shim YM, Noble SM, Paige M. Effect of Modifier Structure on the Activation of Leukotriene A4 Hydrolase Aminopeptidase Activity. J Med Chem. doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b00663.
- Pal K, Ramsden M, Shim YM, Borish L, Payne SC, Steinke JW. Suppression of aspirin-mediated eosinophil activation by PGE2: relevance to aspirin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug hypersensitivity. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2019. 123(5):503-506.
- Qing K, Tustison NJ, Mugler JP, Mata JF, Lin Z, Zhao L, Wang D, Feng X, Shim JY, Callahan SJ, Bergman MP, Ruppert K, Altes TA, Cassani JM, Shim YM. Probing changes in lung physiology in COPD using CT, perfusion MRI, and hyperpolarized xenon-129 MRI. Acad 2019 Mar;26(3):326-334.
- Myc L, Shim YM, Laubach VE, Dimastromatteo J. Role of medical and molecular imaging in Clinical and Translational Medicine 2019.
- Papani R, Sharma G, Agarwal A, Callahan SJ, Chan WJ, Kuo YF, Shim YM, Mihalek AD, Duarte AG. Validation of claims-based algorithms for pulmonary arterial hypertension. Pulmonary Circulation, 2018 Feb 26;8(2):1-8. DOI:10.1177/2045894018759246.
- Pal K, Feng X, Steinke JW, Burdick MD, Shim YM, Sung SS, Teague WG, Borish L. Leukotriene A4 hydrolase activation and leukotriene B4 production by eosinophils in severe AJRCMB. 2018 Oct 23. Doi:10.1165/rcmb.2018-0175OC.
- Farhab N, Fitzpatrick S, Shim YM, Paige M, *Chow DS. Ultrapressure liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry assay using atmospheric pressure photoionization (UPKC-APPI-MS/MS) for quantification of 4-methodxydiphenylmethane in pharmacokinetic evaluation. J Pharm Biomed Anal, 2016 May 10;129:46-52. DOI:10.1016/j.jpba.2016.05.014.