The Office of Research Core Administration supports research core facilities in the School of Medicine which were established to make research more efficient and cost effective. The core facilities allow the presence of specialized instruments and personnel that individual laboratories cannot afford. Personnel in the cores provide expertise on the capabilities of their instruments and services and develop new applications for their techniques. The cores provide training and support for user operated instruments.
This administrative structure allows the combined research cores to have status similar to a department and staff have their appointments listed as in ORCA. Faculty in research cores belong to other academic departments.
- centralized budget system for all cores,
- centralized billing system using iLab
- tracking of users and volume of use
- promotion of collaboration by cores,
- annual user surveys,
- business manager and fiscal technician to support cores and assist researchers
- support for applications for new instruments
- publicizing cores through Facebook and handbook