The Parenthood and Residency Group supports and advocates for trainees with concerns related to parenthood. These topics include but are not limited to adoption; breastfeeding/pumping; fertility treatments; grief or loss; mental or physical health concerns; parental leave; pregnancy; schools & childcare, etc. The group is open to any trainees who is interested in supporting or advocating for any of the above or related topics.
If you would like more information about specific resources at UVA and in Charlottesville, please request to join our closed Facebook group: Request Here
If you have non-urgent questions or concerns, feel free to email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have urgent questions or concerns, please contact the Graduate Medical Education Office at (434) 243-6297
Breastfeeding and/or pumping can be particularly challenging for trainees. UVA’s official Breastfeeding Program is a good resource for general questions or concerns.
Pumping rooms in the hospital can be found here: Nursing Mother’s Lactation Locations at UVA
Learn more about our Breastfeeding Program
return to top
In some circumstances, fertility services are provided under the Housestaff Insurance plan. For more information, contact UVA HR or your Aetna Insurance provider (1-800-987-9072).
Learn more about the Fertility Services provided at UVA
return to top
Paid parental leave is intended to be used for care and bonding during the period of time immediately following the birth of a newborn or placement of a child under the age of 18 with a new adoptive, foster or custodial parent.
Learn more about GME Policy 03: Leave of Absence
return to top
Daycares, Preschools & Nannies
Finding a childcare spots in Charlottesville can be challenging.We recommend contacting several centers including community centers as soon as your training match is confirmed or pregnancy is confirmed. A childcare spot at UVA daycares is not guaranteed for trainees as the centers’ waitlists dictate availability.
There is one circumstance that deviates from the above priorities for all three centers. UVA-affiliated childcare centers prioritize siblings of currently enrolled children over new families. Both parents and providers overwhelmingly support this practice and it helps in maintaining quality/continuity of care.
For more information about trainees’ experience with finding childcare in Charlottesville or experience with specific daycares, please request to join our closed Facebook group: Request Here
The three UVA affiliated daycares listed below:
- Malcolm Cole Childcare Center (MCCC) is the Medical Center affiliated daycare. All employees of the medical center that provide direct patient care, including trainees, receive first priority for spots at MCCC; however, spots are very limited and not guaranteed.
- Sharon Hostler Child Development Center is the School of Medicine faculty & physician affiliated daycare. Medical trainees receive second tier priority. Spots are limited and not guaranteed.
- UVA Child Development Center (Copeley & Earhart locations) is the academic University affiliated daycare. Medical trainees receive second tier priority. Spots are limited and not guaranteed.
- Charlottesville City Schools
- Albemarle County Public Schools
- Augusta County Public Schools
- Fluvanna County Public Schools
- Greene County Public Schools
Bright Horizons provides benefits-eligible employees with affordable, temporary care for themselves or for loved ones of any age.
Learn more on the UVA HR website