Julia Scialla, MD, MHS, FASN Lab
- Associate Professor of Medicine and Public Health Sciences
- Director of Outcomes Research, Departments of Medicine and Public Health Sciences
- Director, Nephrology Clinical Research Center
UVA Division of Nephrology
PO Box 800133
Charlottesville, VA 22908
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Internal Medicine Residency, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Nephrology Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- MHS, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology
- Outcomes Research in Patients with End Stage Kidney Disease
- Complications of Chronic Kidney Disease: Bone and Mineral
Metabolism; Metabolic Acidosis
- Nutrition in Kidney Disease
Lab Team Images
The goal of our research program is to develop approaches to prevent and treat kidney disease and its complications. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) currently affects ~13% of the US population and is influenced by the growing epidemics of diabetes mellitus (DM) and obesity. Our program specifically focuses on new targets for CKD prevention to limit the rising tide in the US and globally; and outcome studies among patients with all stages of CKD to improve cardiovascular outcomes, mortality, and quality of life.
Comparative effectiveness studies of mineral metabolism treatment strategies in end stage kidney disease. In this mixed quantitative and qualitative program of study, we use electronic health record data from a large national dialysis provider linked to USRDS administrative claims, and focused interviews with patients and providers, to understand the optimal approaches for managing hyperphosphatemia and secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients with ESKD. Our ultimate goal is to design and execute a comparative effectiveness clinical trial to clarify management in this challenging area of Nephrology.
Urine organic anions in diabetic kidney disease. In this study we are evaluating metabolites from non-targeted GC/MS metabolomics and a panel of targeted urine organic anions as predictors of kidney outcomes in patients with early stage diabetic kidney disease.
Acid Base Physiology in CKD. In a recently completed physiologic study, we are evaluating the effect of sodium bicarbonate on net acid excretion, 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure and metabolic profiles in patients with and without kidney disease.
Microbiota in Kidney Health and Diabetes. We are evaluating the relationships between diet, gastrointestinal microbiota, systemic metabolism and kidney injury. Pairs of participants from the same residence are participating in our study to understand how microbiota may be a mechanism to ‘transmit’ chronic diseases.
- Isakova T, Cai X, Lee J, Mehta R, Zhang X, Yang W, Nessel L, Anderson AH, Lo J, Porter A, Nunes JW, Negrea L, Hamm L, Horwitz E, Chen J, Scialla JJ, de Boer IH, Leonard MB, Feldman HI, Wolf M. Longitudinal Evolution of Markers of Mineral Metabolism in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: The Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort Study. Am J Kidney Dis 2019, In Press.
- Hall RK, Davenport CA, Sims M, Colon-Emeric C, Washington TR, Russell J, Pendergast J, Bhavsar N, Scialla J, Tyson C, Wang W, Min Y, Young B, Boulware LE, Diamantidis CJ. Association of Functional and Structural Social Support with Chronic Kidney Disease among African Americans: The Jackson Heart Study. BMC Nephrol In Press.
- Tyson CC, Davenport CA, Lin PH, Scialla JJ, Hall R, Diamantidis CJ, Lunyera J, Bhavsar N, Rebholz CM, Pendergast J, Boulware LE, Svetkey LP. DASH Diet and Blood Pressure among Black Americans with and without Chronic Kidney Disease: the Jackson Heart Study. Am J Hypertens 2019, Epub ahead of print.
- Bundy JD, Cai X, Scialla JJ, Dobre MA, Chen J, Hsu C-Y, Leonard MB, Go AS, Rao PS, Lash JP, Townsend RR, Feldman HI, de Boer IH, Block GA, Wolf MS, Smith ER, Pasch A, Isakova T. Serum Calcification Propensity and Coronary Artery Calcification among Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: The CRIC Study. Am J Kidney Dis 2019, In Press.
- Lunyera J, Davenport CA, Pendergast JF, Diamantidis CJ, Bhavsar NA, Sims, M, Wolf MS, Boulware LE, Scialla JJ. Plasma 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels and Renal Function Decline in African Americans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2019; Epub ahead of print.
- Brown L, Luciano A, Pendergast JF, Khairallah P, Anderson CAM, Sondheimer JH, Hamm LL, Ricardo AC, Panduranga R, Rahman M, Miller ER, Sha D, Xie D, Feldman HI, Asplin J, Wolf, M, Scialla JJ. Predictors of Net Acid Excretion in the Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study. Am J Kidney Dis 2019, Epub ahead of print.
- Diamantidis CJ, Davenport CA, Lunyera J, Bhavsar N, Scialla J, Hall R, Tyson C, Sims M, Strigo T, Powe NR, Boulware LE. “Low use of routine medical care among African Americans with high CKD risk: the Jackson Heart Study.” BMC Nephrol, 2019; 20(1):11.
- Lunyera J, Davenport CA, Jackson CL, Johnson DA, Bhavsar NA, Sims M, Scialla JJ, Stanifer JW, Pendergast J, McMullan C, Ricardo CA, Boulware LE, Diamantidis CJ. Evaluation of allostatic load as a mediator of sleep and kidney outcomes in blacks. Kidney Int Rep 2018; 4(3):425-433.
- Lyu B, Banerjee T, Scialla JJ, Shafi T, Yevzlin AS, Powe NR, Parekh RS and Astor BC. Vascular Calcification Markers and Hemodialysis Vascular Access Complications. Am J Nephrol 2018; 48(5):330-338.
- Frazier R, Mehta R, Cai X, Lee J, Napoli S, Craven T, Tuazon J, Safdi A, Scialla JJ, Susztak K, and Isakova T. Associations of Fenofibrate Therapy with Incidence and Progression of Chronic Kidney Disease in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Kidney Int Rep. 2018;4(1):94-102.
- Olivo RE, Hale SL, Diamantidis CJ, Bhavsar NA, Tyson CC, Tucker KL, Carithers TC, Kestenbaum B, Muntner P, Tanner RM, Booth JN, Mwasongwe SE, Pendergast J, Boulware LE, and Scialla JJ. Dietary Phosphorus and Ambulatory Blood Pressure in African Americans: The Jackson Heart Study. Am J Hyperten 2019;32(1):94-103.
- Scialla JJ, Brown L, Gurley S, Corcoran DL, Bain JR, Muehlbauer MJ, O’Neal SK, O’Connell TM, Wolf M, Melamed ML, Hostetter TH, Abramowitz, MK. Metabolic Changes with Base-Loading in CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2018; 13(8):1244-1246.
- Olivo RE, Davenport CA, Diamantidis CJ, Bhavsar NA, Tyson CC, Hall R, Bidulescu A, Young B, Mwasongwe SE, Pendergast J, Boulware LE, Scialla JJ. Obesity and synergistic risk factors for chronic kidney disease in African American adults: the Jackson Heart Study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2018 1;33(6):992-1001. *editor’s choice
- Gerber C, Cai X, Lee J, Craven T, Scialla J, Souma N, Srivastava A, Mehta R, Paluch A, Hodakowski A, Frazier R, Carnethon MR, Wolf MS, Isakova T. Incidence and Progression of Chronic Kidney Disease in Black and White Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018;13(6):884-892.
- Lunyera J, Davenport CA, Bhavsar NA, Sims M, Scialla J, Pendergast J, Hall R, Tyson CC, Russell JSC, Wang W, Correa A, Boulware LE, Diamantidis CJ. Nondepressive Psychosocial Factors and CKD Outcomes in Black Americans. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018;13(2):213-222. *accompanied by podcast
- Isakova T, Cai X, Lee J, Xie D, Wang X, Mehta R, Allen NB, Scialla JJ, Pencina MJ, Anderson AH, Talierco J, Chen J, Fischer MJ, Steigerwalt SP, Leonard MB, Hsu CY, de Boer IH, Kusek JW, Feldman HI, Wolf M; Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study Investigators. Longitudinal FGF23 Trajectories and Mortality in Patients with CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018;29(2):579-590.
- Khairallah P, Isakova T, Asplin J, Hamm L, Dobre M, Rahman M, Sharma K, Leonard M, Miller E 3rd, Jaar B, Brecklin C, Yang W, Wang X, Feldman H, Wolf M, Scialla JJ; Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study Investigators. Acid Load and Phosphorus Homeostasis in CKD. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70(4):541-550.
- Shafi T, Sozio SM, Luly J, Bandeen-Roche KJ, St Peter WL, Ephraim PL, McDermott A, Herzog CA, Crews DC, Scialla JJ, Tangri N, Miskulin DC, Michels WM, Jaar BG, Zager PG, Meyer KB, Wu AW, Boulware LE; DEcIDE Network Patient Outcomes in End Stage Renal Disease Study Investigators. Antihypertensive medications and risk of death and hospitalizations in US hemodialysis patients: Evidence from a cohort study to inform hypertension treatment practices. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96(5):e5924.
- Munoz Mendoza J, Isakova T, Cai X, Bayes LY, Faul C, Scialla JJ, Lash JP, Chen J, He J, Navaneethan S, Negrea L, Rosas SE, Kretzler M, Nessel L, Xie D, Anderson AH, Raj DS, Wolf M; CRIC Study Investigators. Inflammation and elevated levels of fibroblast growth factor 23 are independent risk factors for death in chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2017;91(3):711-719.
- Scialla JJ, Asplin J, Dobre M, Chang AR, Lash J, Hsu CY, Kallem RR, Hamm LL, Feldman HI, Chen J, Appel LJ, Anderson CA, Wolf M; Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort Study Investigators. Higher net acid excretion is associated with a lower risk of kidney disease progression in patients with diabetes. Kidney Int. 2017;91(1):204-215.
- Michels WM, Jaar BG, Ephraim PL, Liu Y, Miskulin DC, Tangri N, Crews DC, Scialla JJ, Shafi T, Sozio SM, Bandeen-Roche K, Cook CJ, Meyer KB, Boulware LE; DEcIDE Network Patient Outcomes in End Stage Renal Disease Study Investigators. Intravenous iron administration strategies and anemia management in hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017;32(1):173-181.