Wendy M. Novicoff, Ph.D. is a Professor in Public Health Sciences, and is the program director for both the MS in Clinical Research program and the PHS Certificate program. She also heads the Novicoff Program in Research in Quality and Patient Safety, coordinates the Be Smart-Be Safe Program in Quality and Patient Safety (a joint program between the School of Medicine and the UVA Hospital), and participates in the Clinical Outcomes and Comparative Effectiveness Research program. She is a health services researcher employing both qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, with special expertise in outcomes evaluation, program design and evaluation, and performance improvement in hospitals and health systems. She is a certified Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, and she has taught quality and performance improvement to groups both within UVA and around the country, including serving as Faculty for the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE). Dr. Novicoff also has a faculty appointment with Orthopaedic Surgery, where she is head of clinical trials and leads clinical outcomes research projects with residents and faculty. She has published more than 100 peer-reviewed publications, and she has presented more than 100 abstracts at national and international conferences.
Department of Public Health Sciences and Orthopaedic Surgery
Ph.D., University of Virginia, Research Methods, 1998
P.O. Box 800717
Health System West Complex, Room 3193
Expertise: Qualitative and quantitative research methods, outcomes research
Research Interests: Quality data and reporting, performance improvement, program evaluation, project management, integration of research methods, outcomes analysis
Teaching Responsibilities: Quality Management (Six Sigma and Lean), Lean for Healthcare, Program Evaluation, Community Health Assessment and Strategic Planning
Other Information: Certified Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, Lean Sensei
Recent Publications (underline indicates trainee or student):
- Shantzer LB, Dougherty SC, Bolte FJ, Melson JW, Reed DR, Lynch AC, Gentzler RD, Novicoff WM, Hall RD. Immune-related adverse events in advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with immune checkpoint inhibition in combination with chemotherapy: A brief report. Clin Lung Cancer 2022 (in press)
- Zhu TH, Guffey DJ, Novicoff WM. Concordance in distinguishing actinic keratosis from squamous cell carcinoma in situ on Mohs frozen sections. J Drugs Dermatol. 2022 (in press).
- Wentworth BJ, Schliep M, Novicoff W, Siragy HM, Geng CX, Henry ZH. Relative adrenal insufficiency in the non-critically ill patient with cirrhosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Liver Int. 2022 (in press).
- Haug EC, Pehlivan H, Macdonell JR, Novicoff WM, Browne JA, Brown T, Cui Q. Higher cost of arthroplasty for hip fracture patients transferred from outside hospitals vs. primary emergency department presentation. World J Orthop. 2022;13:725-732.
- Bolte FJ, McTavish S, Wakefield N, Shantzer L, Hubbard C, Krishnaraj A, Novicoff W, Gentzler RD, Hall RD. Association of sarcopenia with survival in advanced NSCLC patients receiving concurrent immunotherapy and chemotherapy. Front Oncol. 2022;12:986236.
- Smith AL, Quatrara B, Miller K, Novicoff W, Calabrese N. Not So Sweet: Preoperative Diabetes Screening in the Total Joint Population. Orthop Nurs. 2022;41:324-332.
- Roy M, Jacque N, Novicoff W, Li E, Negash R, Evans SJM. Unlicensed Molnupiravir is an Effective Rescue Treatment Following Failure of Unlicensed GS-441524-like Therapy for Cats with Suspected Feline Infectious Peritonitis. Pathogens. 2022;11:1209-1224.
- Davis RE, Driskill EK, Novicoff WM. The association between weather and emergency department visitation for diabetes in Roanoke, Virginia. Int J Biometeorol. 2022;66:1589-1597.
- Koo KH, Mont MA, Cui Q, Hines JT, Yoon BH, Novicoff WM, Lee YJ, Cheng EY, Drescher W, Hernigou P, Kim SY, Sugano N, Zhao DW, Ha YC, Goodman SB, Sakai T, Jones LC, Lee MS, Yamamoto T, Lee YK, Kang Y, Burgess J, Chen D, Quinlan N, Xu JZ, Park JW, Kim HS. The 2021 Association Research Circulation Osseous Classification for early-stage osteonecrosis of the femoral head to computer tomography-based study. J Arthroplasty. 2022;37:1074-1082.
- Richey MM, Golightly Y, Marshall SW, Novicoff WM, Keil AP, Nocera M, Richardson DB. Trends in fatal occupational injuries in Latino/a workers relative to other groups, North Carolina 2000-2017. Am J Ind Med. 2022;65:242-247.
- Lee J, Forrester VJ, Novicoff WM, Guffey DJ, and Russell MA. Surgical delays less than 1 year in Mohs micrographic surgery associated with tumor growth in moderate- and poorly-differentiated squamous cell carcinomas but not lower-grade squamous cell carcinomas or basal cell carcinomas, a retrospective analysis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2022;86:131-139.
- Ryan JC, Duensing IM, Novicoff WM, Browne JA. Are we training surgeons to cement a femoral component in hip arthroplasty? The trainees’ perspective. J Arthroplasty. 2022;37:S536-S539.
- Sequeria SB, Kamalapathy PN, Politi RE, Penberthy JK, Novicoff WM, Browne JA. Treatment decision regret in patients who develop periprosthetic joint infection and require two-stage revision surgery. J Arthroplasty. 2022;37:S291-S296.
- D’Apuzzo MR, Higgins MD, Novicoff WM, Browne JA. Hospital volume as a source of variation for major complications and early in-hospital mortality after total joint arthroplasty. Arthoplast Today. 2022;16:53-56.
- Bodkin SG, Hertel J, Diduch DR, Saliba SA, Novicoff WM, Brockmeier SF, Miller MD, Gwathmey FW, Werner BC, Hart JM. Predicting ACL reinjury from return to activity assessments at 6-months post-surgery: a prospective cohort study. J Athl Train. 2022;57:325-333.
- Jones S, Novicoff W, Nadeau J, Evans S. Unlicensed GS-441524-like antiviral therapy can be effective for at-home treatment of feline infectious peritonitis. Animals (Basel). 2021 Jul 30;11(8):2257.
- Sequeira S, Novicoff WM, McVey E, Noble D, Harb M, Taliaferro J, Browne JA. Patient perspectives on the cancellation of elective primary hip and knee replacement during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021;29:e1321-e1327.
- Mock J, Wynter E, Young P, Sytov A, Elhawy O, Gentzler R, Novicoff W, Martin L, Hall R. Association of opioid use with survival in non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy. J Thoracic Oncology. 2021;16:S20-21.
- Bell J, Bhatia M, Hadeed MM, George J, Hill A, Novicoff WM, Nacey NC, Shimer AL. Fluoroscopically guided facet cyst rupture: rate of conversion to surgery and risk factor analysis. Clin Spine Surg. 2021;34:E410-414.
- Bodkin SG, Bruce AS, Hertel J, Diduch DR, Saliba SA, Novicoff WM, Hart JM. Visuomotor therapy modulates corticospinal excitability in patients following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A randomized crossover trial. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2021 Jan;81:105238.
- Bodkin SG, Hertel J, Bruce AS, Diduch DR, Saliba SA, Novicoff WM, Hart JM. Patient function in serial assessments throughout the post-ACL reconstruction progression. Phys Ther Sport. 2021 Jan;47:85-90.
- Quinlan ND, Werner BC, Novicoff WM, Browne JA. Are patients more susceptible to viral illness immediately following hip and knee arthroplasty? An analysis of influenza diagnoses using multiple administrative databases. J Arthroplasty. 2021;36:1251-1256.
- Aryee JNA, Bolarinwa SA, Montgomery SR Jr, Novicoff W, Dacus AR. Race, gender, and residency: a survey of trainee experience. J Natl Med Assoc. 2020;S0027-9684(20)30184-X.
- Davis RE, Markle ES, Windoloski S, Houck ME, Enfield KB, Kang H, Balling RC Jr, Kuehl DR, Burton JH, Farthing W, Rubio ER, Novicoff WM. A comparison of the effect of weather and climate on emergency department visitation in Roanoke and Charlottesville, Virginia. Environ Res. 2020;191:110065.
- Burke JF, Anciano V, Novicoff WM, Yarboro SR. Use of standardized language for C-arm fluoroscopy improves intraoperative communication and efficiency. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021;29:e458-e464.
- Hadeed MM, Fashandi AH, Novicoff WM, Yarboro S. Anteroposterior view of the knee does not reliably replace the lateral view during evaluation of femoral torsion: a case series. Clin Orthop Practice. 2020;31:561-564.
- Sequeira SB, Scott J, Novicoff W, Cui Q. Systematic review of the etiology behind patellar clunk syndrome. World J Orthop. 2020;11:184-196.
- Haug EC, Novicoff WM, Cui Q. Corrections in alpha angle following two different operative approaches for CAM-type femoral acetabular impingement – Ganz surgical hip dislocation vs anterior mini-open. World J Orthop. 2020;11:27-35.
- Davis RE, Houck M, Markle E, Windoloski S, Enfield KB, Kang H, Balling RC Jr, Kuehl DR, Burton JH, Farthing W, Rubio ER, Novicoff WM. The impact of heat waves on emergency department visits in Roanoke, Virginia. Acad Emerg Med. 2020 July;27:614-617.
- Novicoff WM. CORR Insights®: Depression and non-modifiable patient factors associated with patient satisfaction in an academic orthopaedic outpatient clinic: Is it more than a provider issue? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019;477:2662-2664.