Gina Petroni, Ph.D., has been involved in the design, analysis and monitoring of clinical trials for more than 30 years. Most of her experience has been in cancer clinical trials with work on the national level based with the CALGB cooperative group, now part of The Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology. As a faculty member at UVA since 1996 and currently as director of the Division of Translational Research and Applied Statistics she continues to design, analyze and monitor results for clinical studies. Dr. Petroni serves as the statistical member on several DSMBs, two that are coordinated out of university based networks and another that is coordinated out of NHLBI. She has served on Health System’s institutional review board (IRB) and has been a reviewer for NCI & NIH either as a committee member or ad hoc, continuously for the last fifteen years. The proper design and analysis of clinical trials is her primary area of interest.
Professor and Director, Division of Translational Research & Applied Statistics
Ph.D., University of Michigan
P.O. Box 800717
Old Med School, Room 3885
Design, analysis and monitoring of cancer clinical trials.
Dr. Petroni’s areas of research interest include: early phase and vaccine clinical trials in oncology. Dr. Petroni is the Director of the Biostatistic Shared Resource for the UVA Cancer Center.
- Slingluff CL, Jr, Petroni GR, Olson WC, Smolkin ME, Ross MI, Haas NB, Grosh WW, Boisvert ME, Kirkwood JM, Chianese-Bullock KA. (2009) Effect of GM-CSF on circulating CD8+ and CD4+ T cell responses to a multipeptide melanoma vaccine: Outcome of a multicenter randomized trial. Clinical Cancer Research, Nov 15;15(22):7036-44. Epub 2009 Nov 10. PMID: 19903780.
- Cavaliere R, Petroni G, Lopes MB, Schiff D; (2010) The International Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma Collaborative Group. Primary central nervous system post-transplantation lymphoproliferative disorder: an International Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma Collaborative Group Report. Cancer. 116(4):863-70 Feb 15. PMID: 20052713.
- Jones DR, Taylor MD, Petroni GR, Shu J, Burks SG, Daniel TM, Gillenwater HH. (2010) Phase I Trial of Intrapleural Docetaxel Administered Through an Implantable Catheter in Subjects with a Malignant Pleural Effusion. J Thoracic Oncology, 5(1):75-81. PMID: 19884858.
- Slingluff CL. Petroni GR. Smolkin ME. Chianese-Bullock KA. Smith K. Murphy C. Galeassi N. Neese PY. Grosh WW. Nail CJ. Ross M. von Mehren M. Haas N. Boisvert ME. Kirkwood JM. (2010) Immunogenicity for CD8+ and CD4+ T Cells of 2 Formulations of an Incomplete Freund’s Adjuvant for Multipeptide Melanoma Vaccines. Journal of Immunotherapy. 33(6):630-8. PMID: 20551833.
- Schroen AT, Petroni GR, Wang H, Gray R, Wang XF, Cronin W, Sargent DJ, Benedetti J, Wickerham DL, Djulbegovic B, Slingluff CL Jr. (2010) Preliminary evaluation of factors associated with premature trial closure and feasibility of accrual benchmarks in phase III oncology trials. Clinical Trials. 7(4):312-21. PMID: 20595245.
Filed Under: Faculty