Dr. Wages is an Associate Professor in the Division of Translational Research & Applied Statistics in the Department of Public Health Sciences. He is also an active member of the UVA Cancer Center Biostatistics Shared Resource. Dr. Wages is part of a national research effort to change the way early-phase clinical trials in oncology are done, not only through the pursuit of novel statistical methods, but also by focusing on successful implementation of developed methods into real studies. He collaborates with cancer center members in tailoring clinical trial designs to meet contemporary research objectives in early drug development.
Translational Research & Applied Statistics
Ph.D., Statistics, University of Virginia, 2010
P.O. Box 800717
West Complex Old Med School Room 3890
- Design, monitoring, and analysis of early-phase clinical trials in oncology.
- Associate Editor, Clinical Trials.
- Faculty member, ASCO/AACR Methods in Clinical Cancer Research Workshop; Vail, CO.
- Introduction to Statistics lecture, Foundations of Medicine for incoming medical students
- Introduction to Biostatistics, short course for Radiation Oncology residents and Hematology Oncology fellows
- Muller DA, Wages NA, Wilson DD, et al. STAT RAD: A prospective dose escalation clinical trial of single fraction scan-plan-QA-treat SBRT for painful osseous metastases. Pract Radiat Oncol 2020; [epub ahead of print] April 11. PMID: 32289551.
- Wages NA, Fadul CE. Adaptive dose finding based on safety and feasibility in early-phase clinical trials of adoptive cell immunotherapy. Clin Trials 2020; 17: 157-165. PMCID: PMC7211137.
- Wages NA, Slingluff CL, Jr, Bullock TN, Petroni GR. Tailoring early-phase design to address multiple research objectives. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2020; 69: 95-102. PMID: 31807879.
- Melssen MM, Petroni GR, Chianese-Bullock KA, Wages NA, et al. A multipeptide vaccine plus toll-like receptor agonists LPS or polyICLC in combination with incomplete Freund’s adjuvant in melanoma patients. J Immunother Cancer 2019; 7: 163. PMID: 31248461 .
- Hobbs B, Barata P, Kanjanapan Y, Paller C, Perlmutter J, Pond GR, Prowell T, Rubin E, Seymour L, Wages NA, et al. Seamless designs: current practice and considerations for early phase drug development in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst 2019; 111: 118-28. PMID: 30561713.
- Wages NA, Chiuzan C, Panageas KS. Design considerations for early-phase clinical trials of immune-oncology agents. J Immunother Cancer 2018; 6: 81. PMCID: PMC6103998.
- Wages NA, Portell CA, Williams ME, Conaway MR, Petroni GR. Implementation of a model-based design in a phase 1b study of combined targeted agents. Clin Cancer Res 2017; 23: 7158-64. PMCID: PMC5712236.
- Wages NA, Slingluff CL, Jr, Petroni GR. Statistical controversies in clinical research. early-phase adaptive design for combination immunotherapies. Ann Oncol 2017; 35: 696-701. PMID: 28011450.
- Wages NA, Conaway MR, O’Quigley J. Continual reassessment method for partial ordering. Biometrics 2011; 67: 1555-63. PMCID: PMC3141101.