This elective will be offered to all University of Virginia medical students during the 2023 spring semester. The course consists of five 2 1/2 hour evening sessions (from 6:30-9:00 pm), each divided into large-group and small-group experience. Because of the personal nature and continuity of the small groups, it is essential that participants in the course check their schedules to be sure they can commit to all five of the sessions before signing up.
For 2021, Healer’s Art will be in a hybrid format. All the large group sessions will be done virtually, but the small group meetings may be offered either virtually or live, on campus (think TBL/FCM.) We will ask students to indicate their preference when signing up and will try and accommodate requests. Not all faculty will offer live small group meetings as an option.
There is no transcript credit available at the present time. Past participants have valued the knowledge, tools, and understanding gained through the course.
Session Dates For 2023
Session 1: February 01: Discovering and Nurturing Your Wholeness
Session 2: February 15: Grief and Loss (part 1)
Session 3: February 22: Grief and Loss (part 2)
Session 4:March 08: Allowing Awe in Medicine
Session 5: March 15: Care of the Soul: Service as a Way of Life
- Eve Bargmann MD, Geriatrics and Palliative Care, UVA
- Deborah Barry Ph.D, Assistant Professor of Medical Education, UVA
- Carol Boersma MD, Pediatrics, Martha Jefferson Hospital
- Gretchen Brantley MD, Adolescent Medicine, Pediatrics, Piedmont Pediatrics
- Matt Goodman MD, Internal Medicine, UVA
- Michael Dobson MD, Family Medicine, UVA
- Ann Kellams MD, Pediatrics, UVA
- Bryce Kellams MD, Family Medicine, Martha Jefferson Hospital
- Rob Kyler MD, Radiation Oncology, Augusta Health Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders
- Gabrielle Marzani MD, Psychiatry, UVA
- Karen Maughan MD, Family Medicine, UVA
- Dana Redick, MD, Obstetrics and Gynecology, UVA
- Tim Short MD, General Medicine, Geriatrics and Palliative Care
- Julia Taylor MD, Pediatrics, UVA
- Curt Tribble MD, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, UVA