Basic Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program:
How to Apply
Application to the Basic Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program is a two-step process. Applications are submitted through ERAS; to apply for subspecialty training programs, you must be sure to complete the second step.
- Enter ERAS application information anytime between July 1 and July 15. We will accept documents from ERAS only.
- You must indicate on your ERAS application the institutions you wish to receive your application; you must choose University of Virginia for us to receive your application. We begin reviewing applications on July 15th, and conduct interviews in August, September and October.
The following documents must be submitted to ERAS:
- Common application form, including a personal statement and medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation: one from your program director and two others from your current institution, preferably one from a faculty member in the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Wallet-sized color photograph
- USMLE transcripts
- For foreign medical graduates: ECFMG status report
We do accept J1 visas for our three-year clinical fellowships. In the past we have sponsored H1B visas, but the applicant must be extremely well-qualified. Applicants for our four-year program (two years of clinical training and two years of focused research) must have their green card or U.S. citizenship, since part of the funding for this program comes from National Institute of Health grants.