Basic Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program:
How to Apply
Application to the Basic Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program is a two-step process. Applications are submitted through ERAS; to apply for subspecialty training programs, you must be sure to complete the second step.
- Enter ERAS application information anytime between July 1 and August 31. We will accept documents from ERAS only.
- You must indicate on your ERAS application the institutions you wish to receive your application; you must choose the University of Virginia for us to receive your application. We begin reviewing applications on July 21st and conduct interviews in September and October. In recognition of guidelines from medical organizations including the NRMP and ACC, all interviews for the 2022 application cycle will be conducted virtually.
The following documents must be submitted to ERAS:
- Common application form, including a personal statement and medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation: one from your program director and two others from your current institution, preferably one from a faculty member in the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Wallet-sized color photograph
- USMLE transcripts
- For foreign medical graduates: ECFMG status report
We do accept J1 visas for our three-year clinical fellowships. In the past, we have occasionally sponsored H1B visas, only for extremely well-qualified applicants in special circumstances. Applicants for our four-year program (two years of clinical training and two years of focused research) must have their green card or U.S. citizenship since part of the funding for this program comes from National Institute of Health grants.