Who We Serve
The UVA Cancer Comprehensive Center COE addresses the burden of cancer across Virginia, West Virginia and beyond by working closely with communities to identify and address local needs and disseminate effective cancer control and prevention strategies. Mutually responsive partnerships within the community and the diversity of researchers at UVA Cancer Center make this work possible. In our catchment areas, we strive to promote health equity and address cancer prevention and treatment disparities.
UVA Cancer Center Catchment Area
About Our Catchment Area
UVA Comprehensive Cancer Center serves over 3.2 million residents from a large area that includes 87 counties throughout northern, central, southside, and southwestern Virginia, as well as eastern West Virginia. About one-third of the catchment area is rural. Many of our patients drive over two hours each way through the Blue Ridge Mountains to reach UVA.
Understanding the role that cancer plays in people’s lives is one of the major goals of our office, and we work hard to further that understanding through our outreach and engagement programs. This effort falls under Aim 1: Monitor the cancer burden, risk and disparities with partners in the catchment area.
How did we approach this?
- We accessed, collected, and analyzed cancer data at the local level to provide a Community Cancer Burden Profile for the following regions: Northern (1), Central (2), Valley (3), Southside (4), Southwest (5), West Virginia (6)
- Communicate all catchment area data and findings, both internally and externally
- Community Cancer Burden Profile: Clarke, Culpeper, Fauquier, Frederick, Madison, Page, Rappahannock, Rockingham, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Warren, Fredericksburg City, Harrisonburg City, Winchester City
- Community Cancer Burden Profile: Albermarle, Augusta, Fluvanna, Green, Louisa, Nelson, Orange, Charlottesville City, Staunton City, Waynesboro City
- Community Cancer Burden Profile: Alleghany, Bath, Botetourt, Craig, Giles, Highland, Montgomery, Pulaski, Roanoke, Rockbridge, Buena Vista City, Covington City, Lexington City, Radford City, Roanoke City, Salem City
- Community Cancer Burden Profile: Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Franklin, Halifax, Henry, Patrick, Pittslyvania, Prince Edward, Bedford City, Danville City, Lynchburg City, Martinsville City
- Community Cancer Burden Profile: Bland, Buchanan, Carroll, Dickenson, Grayson, Lee, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, Wythe, Bristol City, Galax City, Norton City
- Community Cancer Burden Profile: Fayette, Greenbrier, Hardy, Kanawha, McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Nicholas, Pendleton, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers, Wyoming