Careers in Parapsychology/Psychical Research
Job Openings at the Division of Perceptual Studies
1) A RARE OPPORTUNITY! The Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, at the University of Virginia, School of Medicine, is seeking applicants for an Assistant/Associate Professor in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. The position can include 20-25% time in the Division of Perceptual Studies, working on studies of children who report memories of previous lives.
For more information, please contact DOPS Director, Dr. Jim Tucker (email@example.com) and/or review and apply for the position here: Assistant/Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist (myworkdayjobs.com)
2) UVA DOPS EEG LAB IS SEEKING A POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE. The Ray Westphal Neuroimaging Laboratory, Division of Perceptual Studies (DOPS), Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, University of Virginia, is seeking a postdoctoral candidate who can effectively contribute to and carry out the ongoing research in our EEG lab. The research efforts of the DOPS EEG lab revolve around intensive functional neuroimaging studies of paranormal or “psi” processes and psi-conducive altered states of consciousness in human subjects who demonstrate consistent exceptional psi abilities. Both EEG and fNIRS studies are utilized in the lab.
For more information about this position and the process for applying, please see the UVA job listing for Postdoctoral Research Associate.
University Based Research Units Throughout the World
UVA DOPS is one of a limited number of University-based research units in the world investigating similar paranormal phenomena. Some of the other research centers are: the University of Arizona Center for Consciousness Studies; the University of West Georgia; the University of Edinburgh-Koestler Parapsychology Unit; the University of Hertfordshire in England; and the Center for Research on Consciousness and Anomalous Psychology, Lund University, Sweden.
The researchers at the University of Virginia’s Division of Perceptual Studies have a special interest in studying the evidence for survival of consciousness after death. Please note, we do not offer classes for credit in our research division.
Psychical Research Around the World
For more information about the psychical research being done at other research facilities throughout the world, please refer to the list of Accredited Colleges and Universities in the United States and the United Kingdom found on the Parapsychology Foundation. Another resource that may be helpful is the Parapsychological Association website.
Careers in Psychical Research
Opportunities for making a full-time career in parapsychology are rare, since there are presently many more qualified people wishing to work in the field than there are funds for their support. Opportunities do exist, however.
Carlos Alvarado Ph.D., one of our respected colleagues in the field, has valuable information to offer regarding careers in parapsychology.
- What is Parapsychology?
- Parapsychology as a Profession
- Getting to Work in Parapsychology
- Reflections on Being a Parapsychologist
- The Historical Perspective in Parapsychology
Nancy Zingrone Ph.D., another of our respected research colleagues, offers important information about basic literacy in the field of parapsychology. In this article, she outlines the body of literature which serves as a solid foundation for those students and professionals who aspire to build a career in the field of parapsychology. Read: What Basic Literacy in the Field of Parapsychology Can Do For You
The Alvarado-Zingrone Institute for Research and Education offers a wide variety of resources for those interested in studying parapsychology including classes taught by respected researchers and authors in the field. Click here for information regarding the courses they offer online.