Research Centers and Recommended Websites of Interest
Some of Our Esteemed Colleagues in the Field
Carlos Alvarado, Ph.D.: (1955 – 2021) Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation. Dr. Alvarado was well-known for his many contributions to parapsychology including survey research on apparent psychic experiences (especially OBEs) in the general population. Dr. Alvarado specialized in the history of parapsychology and he was well respected throughout the world for his many excellent academic publications on this subject and more. We can highly recommend his very interesting scholarly Blog series on a wide range of topics in the study of parapsychology. Follow this link to the blog. The late Dr. Alvarado and his surviving partner Nancy Zingrone, offered classes online for research and education in parapsychology Alvarado-Zingrone Institute for Research and Education in Parapsychology .
Michael Grosso, Ph.D.: Currently an independent scholar and author. His scholarly contributions are aimed at changing the ‘scientific materialism’ position prevalent in mainstream science and is a contributing author to the book Irreducible Mind. Dr. Grosso has taught humanities and philosophy at Marymount Manhattan College, City University of New York, and City University of New Jersey. Dr. Grosso is also writing a very interesting blog series called Consciousness Unbound.
Erlendur Haraldsson, Ph.D.: ( 1931 – 2020) University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland. The late Dr. Haraldsson was a psychologist, a friend, and an esteemed research colleague of the late Dr. Ian Stevenson, founder of DOPS. Professor Haraldsson was the author of many books and a co-investigator on cases of the reincarnation type. He was well respected for his wide-ranging research into parapsychology phenomena.
Bernardo Kastrup, Ph.D.: Dr. Kastrup’s degree is in computer engineering with specializations in artificial intelligence and reconfigurable computing. He has worked as a scientist in some of the world’s foremost research laboratories, including the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the Philips Research Laboratories (where the “Casimir Effect” of Quantum Field Theory was discovered). Bernardo has authored many academic papers and books on philosophy and science. His most recent book is The Idea of the World: A multi-disciplinary argument for the mental nature of reality, based on rigorous analytic argument and empirical evidence. For more information, freely downloadable papers, videos, etc. can be found on his website Metaphysical Speculations. Kastrup is the executive director of the newly formed Essentia Foundation.
Andreas Sommer, Ph.D.: Historian working on the interrelations of the sciences and magic. His thesis (University College London, 2013) reconstructed the links between psychical research and experimental psychology in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The thesis won an award from the International Union of History and Philosophy of Science and Technology. If you’re interested in new perspectives on ancient questions that are informed by the latest insights from professional historical scholarship, please visit the Forbidden Histories Youtube Channel, which features short videos about these interesting topics.
Academic Centers and Foundations Studying Unusual Phenomena
- The Academy for the Advancement of Postmaterialist Sciences-Marjorie Woolacott
- Center for Research on Consciousness and Anomalous Psychology (CERCAP), Etzel Cardeña, Lund University, Sweden.
In 2018 Etzel Cardeña published an important article, “The experimental evidence for parapsychological phenomena: A review. American Psychologist, 73(5), 663-677″.
A new notable journal regarding research on the topic of consciousness has been published:
Journal of Anomalous Experience and Cognition Volume 1, No. 1-2 (2021), Editor-in-Chief Etzel Cardeña
- Consciousness Research Laboratory (University of Nevada, Las Vegas)
- Essentia Foundation is a newly formed academic foundation presenting accessible but rigorous scientific content pointing to the mental nature of reality-the primacy of consciousness. Bernardo Kastrup, PhD is the executive director.
- Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) is a research center and direct-experience lab specializing in the intersection of science and human experience.
- International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS) A resource for information about NDE research as well as support for those who have experienced NDEs.
- Koestler Parapsychology Unit (University of Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Near-Death Experience Research Foundation-Archive of NDEs
- NUPES – Research Center in Spirituality and Health -Alexander Moreira-Almeida, PhD, Brazil.
- Parapsychological Association
- Parapsychology Foundation
- Rhine Research Center/Institute for Parapsychology
- Society for Psychical Research
- Windbridge Research Center
Scientific research and educational content about the topic of mediumship. Author and researcher Julie Beischel, PhDis the executive director.
Resources re: The Study of Unusual Phenomena
- Alvarado-Zingrone, The Azire Institute for Research and Education in Parapsychology
- Andreas Sommer, Forbidden Histories; Forbidden Histories Youtube Channel
- Consciousness Unbound Blog-Michael Grosso
- Dean Radin, prolific researcher and author, Chief Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences and Associated Distinguished Professor at the California Institute of Integral Studies.
- Journal of Near-Death Studies
- Mark Gober’s excellent and informative Podcast:“Where Is My Mind?”
- Scientific American Blog -Bernardo Kastrup, PhD
- Society for Psychical Research-Psi Encyclopedia. The Psi Encyclopedia is new collection of articles and case studies about psi research, the scientific investigation of psychic phenomena.
- Society for Scientific Exploration