Research Centers and Recommended Websites of Interest
Academic Centers and Foundations Studying Unusual Phenomena
- Center for Research on Consciousness and Anomalous Psychology (CERCAP), Etzel Cardeña, Lund University, Sweden.
In 2018 Etzel Cardeña published an important article, “The experimental evidence for parapsychological phenomena: A review. American Psychologist, 73(5), 663-677″.
- Consciousness Research Laboratory (University of Nevada, Las Vegas)
- Essentia Foundation is a newly formed academic foundation presenting accessible but rigorous scientific content pointing to the mental nature of reality-the primacy of consciousness. Bernardo Kastrup, PhD is the executive director.
- International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS)
- Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) is a research center and direct-experience lab specializing in the intersection of science and human experience.
- Koestler Parapsychology Unit (University of Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Near-Death Experience Research Foundation-Archive of NDEs
- NUPES – Research Center in Spirituality and Health -Alexander Moreira-Almeida, PhD, Brazil.
- Parapsychological Association
- Parapsychology Foundation
- Rhine Research Center/Institute for Parapsychology
- Society for Psychical Research
- Windbridge Research Center Scientific research and educational content about the topic of mediumship. Author and researcher Julie Beischel, PhD is the executive director.
Resources re: The Study of Unusual Phenomena
- Alvarado-Zingrone, The Azire Institute for Research and Education in Parapsychology
- Andreas Sommer, Forbidden Histories; Forbidden Histories Youtube Channel
- Consciousness Unbound Blog-Michael Grosso
- Dean Radin, prolific researcher and author, Chief Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences and Associated Distinguished Professor at the California Institute of Integral Studies.
- Journal of Near-Death Studies
- Mark Gober’s excellent and informative Podcast:“Where Is My Mind?”
- Scientific American Blog -Bernardo Kastrup, PhD
- Skeptical About Skeptics
- Society for Psychical Research-Psi Encyclopedia. The Psi Encyclopedia is new collection of articles and case studies about psi research, the scientific investigation of psychic phenomena.
- Society for Scientific Exploration
Some of Our Esteemed Colleagues in the Field
Carlos Alvarado, Ph.D.: Research Fellow, Parapsychology Foundation. Well-known for his many contributions to the field of parapsychology including survey research on apparent psychic experiences in the general population, Dr. Alvarado specializes in the history of parapsychology. We can highly recommend his very interesting scholarly Blog series on a wide range of topics in the study of parapsychology. Follow this link to the blog. Dr. Alvarado and his partner Nancy Zingrone have begun to offer classes on-line for research and education in parapsychology Alvarado-Zingrone Institute for Research and Education in Parapsychology .
Michael Grosso, Ph.D.: Currently an independent scholar and author. His scholarly contributions are aimed at changing the ‘scientific materialism’ position prevalent in mainstream science and is a contributing author to the book Irreducible Mind. Dr. Grosso has taught humanities and philosophy at Marymount Manhattan College, City University of New York, and City University of New Jersey. Dr. Grosso is also writing a very interesting blog series called Consciousness Unbound.
Erlendur Haraldsson, Ph.D.: University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland. (November 3, 1931 – November 22, 2020). The late Dr. Haraldsson was a friend and a research colleague of the late Dr. Ian Stevenson, founder of DOPS. Professor Haraldsson was the author of many books and a co-investigator on cases of the reincarnation type.
Bernardo Kastrup, Ph.D.: Dr. Kastrup’s degree is in computer engineering with specializations in artificial intelligence and reconfigurable computing. He has worked as a scientist in some of the world’s foremost research laboratories, including the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the Philips Research Laboratories (where the “Casimir Effect” of Quantum Field Theory was discovered). Bernardo has authored many academic papers and books on philosophy and science. His most recent book is The Idea of the World: A multi-disciplinary argument for the mental nature of reality, based on rigorous analytic argument and empirical evidence. For more information, freely downloadable papers, videos, etc. can be found on his website Metaphysical Speculations. Kastrup is the executive director of the newly formed Essentia Foundation.
Andreas Sommer, Ph.D.: Historian working on the interrelations of the sciences and magic. His thesis (University College London, 2013) reconstructed the links between psychical research and experimental psychology in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The thesis won an award from the International Union of History and Philosophy of Science and Technology. If you’re interested in new perspectives on ancient questions that are informed by the latest insights from professional historical scholarship, please visit the Forbidden Histories Youtube Channel, which features short videos about these interesting topics.