Search

Honoring Our Veterans: Michael Tighe

November 17, 2016 by   |   Leave a Comment

Michael Tighe

Technologist, Nuclear Medicine
Pennsylvania Army National Guard 2010 – Current

I joined the Pennsylvania Army National Guard in 2010. I am currently serving as a Sergeant in the infantry. My reason for serving is to help others.

I’ve traveled to about a dozen states in the U.S. and three countries outside the U.S. I helped provide Security Forces for particular areas where we were assigned. I especially remember Kuwait, where we experienced record-breaking temperatures—wind, hot sand, and 129 degrees is not fun!

From Pennsylvania, my program brought me to Ohio, which started my study in nuclear medicine, and then to UVA. I had selected and interviewed for a student position within the nuclear medicine department at UVA Health System. When I completed my B.S. in Nuclear Medicine Technologies, I started the job hunt. Soon after, UVA had an opening for a technologist, so I happily applied. Helping others is the most rewarding part about being a team member in my department here at UVA.

My experience in the military has shaped who I am today. The military taught me resilience, and that I can go through life without worrying too much about the small things.

This article is part of the Department of Radiology’s Veteran’s Day series “A Tribute to Our Veterans”, honoring the men and women in our department who have served. To see the entire series, please click here.

Comments