How To Apply
The application is now open for the 2021 summer program!
Application and Admissions Information Sessions
Attend a virtual info session and learn about the SRIP program and the application and admissions process. Get answers to the most common questions and come prepared with your own questions. Register by clicking the link by your preferred session date.
October 27th 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Register Here.
November 16th, 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. Register Here.
December 9th, 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Register Here.
January 5th, 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. Register Here.
How to Submit an Application
- Completed online application by February 1st, 11:59 PM deadline
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty or advisors (due 7 days after the application deadline)
- Uploaded copy of your unofficial academic transcript
- Completed personal statements regarding your research experience and long term goals, your research interests, and other relevant information.
- Create an account in the central UVA Application Management system
- From the menu, select the application for the Summer Research Internship Program for the upcoming summer
- Follow the remaining prompts
Letters of recommendation:
Two letters are required, but up to four may be submitted. Try to choose individuals whom know you well and can comment on you aptitude for research and academic abilities. Our application system emails your recommenders with a request to complete our evaluation form.
Upload your most recent unofficial transcript. If coursework has been completed at several institutions and your recent transcript doesn’t reflect the grades from all courses at all schools you must submit transcripts from each institution attended.
1. Past Research Experience and Long Term Goals (500 Word Maximum)
Compose a paragraph detailing any past experience in a research laboratory, even that associated with a class. This is your opportunity to explain your educational aspirations and why you want to participate in SRIP. Please try to address each of the following in your response: What are your academic and/or career goals? How have your past experiences and background influenced your goals? How will SRIP help you achieve your goals? What do you expect to gain from an SRIP experience?
2. Statement of Research Interest (125 Words Maximum)
In order to identify potential faculty mentors for you, the SRIP reviewers need to know what areas of research interest you. Please describe the area(s) that you would like to explore and why this research appeals to you. If familiar with research conducted at UVA, please list the faculty, departments, programs and/or research centers, with whom you would be interested in executing a summer project.
3. Other Relevant Information (125 Words Maximum)
Please share any additional relevant information or experience that you would like us to know about (volunteer, academic, life or work experiences).
SRIP Program Questions
Marya Johnson, Program Coordinator
Online Application Questions
Application, recommendation, and transcript questions and issues
Admissions Mailing Address
Summer Research Internship Program
PO Box 401114
Charlottesville, VA 22904
Our program values the strength that comes from diversity. Individuals from racial and ethnic groups who are underrepresented in biomedical sciences and those with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Questions frequently asked by applicants are answered here.