Join us for the Summer Research Internship Program (SRIP) at the University of Virginia School of Medicine for a ten-week research experience you’ll never forget!
- An immersive, ten-week, hands-on research experience investigating current problems in biomedical research under the guidance of a faculty member.
- A professional development series highlighting the opportunities that exist for careers in biomedical sciences.
- Presentations by our faculty and panel discussions from our graduate students about the graduate school application process.
- A research lecture series presented by internationally recognized scientists & physician scientists.
- “Communicating Science” workshops teaching strategies for communicating complex scientific topics in clear and engaging ways.
- Several opportunities to present your research.
- Regular office hours and mentoring with Dr. Janet Cross, SRIP Program Director.
- Housing on UVA Grounds, within easy walking distance to the research facilities and the Health System.
- Roundtrip travel to Charlottesville. Fly to and from Charlottesville or be reimbursed for driving mileage.
- Access to the UVA athletic facilities for a nominal fee.
- Generous financial support through a stipend or wage.
- Social activities and a closing reception.
- Catered events.
Our inaugural program was held in the summer of 1992. The program hosts approximately 35 students each year.
The Summer Research Internship Program provides an outstanding environment to learn first hand about a career in biomedical research while preparing to succeed in gaining admission to graduate school. Many of our former SRIP participants have matriculated into M.D./Ph.D. and Ph.D. programs, including at UVA.
To be eligible for consideration for SRIP, an applicant must:
- Be an undergraduate college student
- Be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa
- Submit an on-line application and supporting materials by the application deadline
Our Commitment to Diversity
Diversity stands with ethics, integrity, and academic excellence, as a cornerstone of University culture. The University promotes an inclusive and welcoming environment that embraces the full spectrum of human attributes, perspectives, and disciplines. When people of different backgrounds come together, they exchange ideas, question assumptions (including their own), and broaden the horizons for us all. A University of Virginia community rich in diversity affords every member equal respect and provides a forum for understanding our differences as well as our commonalities.
For more information on diversity at the University of Virginia, please visit the Vice President & Chief Officer For Diversity & Equity and the School of Medicine Office for Diversity.