Please find your workshop power point handouts here for reference AFTER your lectures (except for the Ethics Workshop slides, you are encouraged to review these before your workshop if you wish). You should not print these out prior to your workshops in order to follow along. You are expected to give the presenter your undivided attention during lectures. On the contrary you will be responsible for printing out the workshops’ corresponding articles, which will be noted.
Goals: This workshop is designed to prepare students to explore fall risk factors, assess and manage falls in older adults. At the end of this workshop, everyone should be able to:
- Remember falls are not due to just normal aging
- Describe at least 2-3 adverse consequences related to falls in older adults.
- Identify at least 3-4 preventable fall risk factors in the elderly.
- Follow the latest guideline of fall evaluation (2010) and prevention in older persons living in the community.
- Identify at least 2-3 preventable fall risk factors and offer 2-3 measures to prevent another fall for the patient in the case.
- Identify at least 10 home fall hazards for older patients.
- Know how to choose an appropriate cane for older patients and ensure they use it correctly.
Please print prior to coming to workshop. Also note that “Beers Criteria” found under the Workshop Related Articles coincides with this workshop.
Wound Care (PDF)
Scoop on Poop (PDF)
Palliative Care and Hospice (PDF)
3D Workshop (Dementia, Delirium, Depression)
Please note that you have articles that need to be read in advance for the 3D Workshop.
Dementia, Delirium, Depression (PDF)
The 50-Minute Fellowship (PDF)
Thinking Ethically: Who’s in Charge When The Patient is Not? Advanced Directives, Surrogate Decision-makers, and DNR Orders
Advanced Directives, Surrogate Decision-makers, and DNR Orders (PDF)