Welcome from the Chair
The University of Virginia Department of Medicine consists of a diverse group of faculty, staff and trainees that are dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing outstanding care, advancing medical knowledge and educating the next generation of clinicians. In addition, we strive to be productive members of our larger community and give back to our local region through our care and volunteer efforts. We achieve these goals with a spirit of cooperation, collegiality and mutual respect that values the contributions of every individual.
I am proud to serve as the Chair of this great Department and every day I have the privilege of seeing the outstanding achievements that are so typical of our faculty, residents, fellows and staff. Our web site provides a small glimpse into the excellence that we demonstrate every day and I encourage you to browse each Division’s pages to learn more about the extraordinary breadth and depth of our skills, passions and personalities. Please feel free to reach out to my office to learn more about our Department.
With best wishes,
Mitchell H. Rosner, MD, MACP
Henry B. Mulholland Professor of Medicine
Chair, Department of Medicine
Mission & Values
We are dedicated to preventing disease and treating illness, educating and inspiring future leaders in the field of internal medicine, and supporting innovative biomedical research.
We aim to provide compassionate patient care of the highest quality, and translate new knowledge into meaningful improvements in healthcare outcomes.
We believe these goals are best met through interdisciplinary collaboration, fiscal responsibility, support of diversity, a focus on quality, and a culture of professionalism dedicated to teamwork and collegial relations.
With these values as our foundation, the Department of Medicine is committed to promoting the best interests of the University of Virginia and the community we serve.
We strive for a sense of community, connection and synergy among all faculty, staff and trainees.
- creativity, innovation, and the constant striving for improvement;
- respect for diversity, and for the contribution of each faculty and staff member;
- fairness, honesty, and open communication in all our interactions;
- teamwork and a multidisciplinary approach to solving complex problems;
- transparency and accountability;
- fiscal discipline and timeliness;
- alignment of incentives with the best interests of faculty, staff and the department as a whole;
- a high quality of life for faculty, staff and trainees;
- a culture that encourages lifelong learning, mentoring and advocacy.
We will conform to the highest ethical standards, uphold the values of our partner organizations, and give back to our community through public service.