Zhenqi Liu, MD
- James M. Moss Professor of Diabetes
- Professor of Medicine
- Past Chief (2012 – 2021), Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Graduate: M.D., Hunan Medical University
- Internal Medicine Residency: Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC
- Endocrinology Fellowship: University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Endocrinology Research Fellowship: Yale University (New Haven, CT) and University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA)
My laboratory has long been interested in insulin action in health and diabetes. Currently, the primary focus is on regulating insulin action in the vasculature and its relation to insulin’s metabolic action and the cardiovascular complications of diabetes. We use a variety of rodent models and cultured cells to study the mechanisms of insulin action and conduct clinical research studies in humans with or without diabetes to see how insulin’s vascular actions are regulated in humans with or without insulin resistance and diabetes.
Prospective new fellows could focus on regulating insulin’s vascular and metabolic actions by GLP-1 receptor activation, SGLT2 inhibition, or exercise in health and diabetes.