Rhinology & Sinus Surgery
The Division of Rhinology & Sinus Surgery offers treatments for a number of conditions including rhinitis, nasal obstruction, deviated septum, nasal polyps, acute sinusitis, and chronc sinusitis.
- Symptoms of Sinusitis, Allergies and Colds
- Tips to Help Avoid Sinusitis
- Sinus trouble? UVa balloon treatment might let you breathe.
Symptoms of Sinusitis, Allergies and Colds
Many people do not see a doctor for sinusitis because they believe they are suffering from allergies or a cold. While the symptoms are similar, unlike allergies or colds, sinusitis requires a physician’s diagnosis and may warrant treatment with an antibioltic to cure the infection and prevent similar, unlike allergies or colds, sinusitis requires a physician’s diagnosis and may warrant treatment with an antibioltic to cure the infection and prevent future complications. future complications.
Did you know that Sinusitis is one of the most common health conditions in America?
Health Articles on Sinusitis here.
Tips to Help Avoid Sinusitis
Some tips to help avoid developing sinusitis during a cold or allergy flare up include the following:
- Use an oral decongestant following the instructions of your doctor and the manufacturer.
- Blow the nose gently, blocking one nostril while blowing through the other
- Drink plenty of fluids to keep nasal discharge thin.
- Use salt water rinses once or twice a daily
- Avoid air travel. If it is necessary to fly, use an oral decongestant one hour before take-off to prevent blockage of the sinuses.
- Avoid contact with allergy triggers, or use prescription antihistamines and a nasal steroid spray to control allergy attacks.
Note: Please read all directions and instructions accompanying over-the-counter medications. Consult your physician with any questions.