The University of Virginia School of Medicine was envisioned and established in 1819 by Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. Mr. Jefferson believed that a free flowing exchange of ideas was best accomplished by having faculty and students living and learning side by side. The “Academical Village” reflects this philosophy and it continues to be one of the tenets of our approach to medical education. The School of Medicine was one of the first 8 schools within the University.
In 2010, after nearly a decade of research, self-study and preparation, the more traditional curriculum was replaced by an integrated curriculum in recognition that students learn best around patient stories while engaged in active learning. The medical school building was built to support this curriculum, accepting the first class in the fall of 2010.