Motility at the UVA Digestive Health Center conducts a variety of diagnostic tests to evaluate and diagnose abnormal conditions within the gastrointestinal system. Services provided include:
- Manometry studies to evaluate motor function and coordination of muscular activity throughout the digestive system.
- 24-hour pH reflux monitoring, Bravo pH monitoring, and esophageal impedance-pH monitoring for evaluation of acidic and non-acidic reflux.
- Hydrogen breath test to check for lactose intolerance and bacterial overgrowth.
- C-14 urea breath test to check for the helicobacter pylori bacterium., which can be diagnostic for peptic ulcer and some other GI diseases.
- Pill cam capsule endoscopy to visualize the esophageal or small intestinal mucosa, looking for signs of bleeding or other conditions.
- EMG rectal biofeedback for diagnosis and treatment of anorectal dysfunction.
- Gastric analysis to evaluate acid secretion.
- Secretin stimulation test to diagnose Zollenger-Ellison syndrome in patients with hypergastrinemia or peptic ulcer disease.
Referring physicians and office staff:
Please request an outpatient procedure at UVA Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology by calling 434.924.9999 and faxing the appropriate form to 434.924.8144.