- January: TARGET Investigators, for the ANZICS Clinical Trials Group, Chapman M, Peake SL, Bellomo R, et al. Energy-Dense versus Routine Enteral Nutrition in the Critically Ill. N Engl J Med. 2018;379(19):1823-1834.
- January: Allingstrup MJ, Kondrup J, Wiis J, et al. Early goal-directed nutrition versus standard of care in adult intensive care patients: the single-centre, randomised, outcome assessor-blinded EAT-ICU trial. Intensive Care Med. 2017;43(11):1637-1647.
- February: Reignier J, Boisramé-Helms J, Brisard L, et al. Enteral versus parenteral early nutrition in ventilated adults with shock: a randomised, controlled, multicentre, open-label, parallel-group study (NUTRIREA-2). Lancet. 2018; 391(10116):133-143.
- March: Koecher KJ, Thomas W, Slavin JL. Healthy subjects experience bowel changes on enteral diets: addition of a fiber blend attenuates stool weight and gut bacteria decreases without changes in gas. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2015 Mar;39(3):337-43.
- April: Wewalka M, Drolz A, Seeland B, et al. Different enteral nutrition formulas have no effect on glucose homeostasis but on diet-induced thermogenesis in critically ill medical patients: a randomized controlled trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2018 Apr;72(4):496-503.
- May (New): Doig GS, Simpson F, Heighes PT, et al. Restricted versus continued standard caloric intake during the management of refeeding syndrome in critically ill adults: a randomised, parallel-group, multicentre, single-blind controlled trial. Lancet Respir Med. 2015 Dec;3(12):943-952.
- December: Gonzalez-Granda A, Schollenberger A, Haap M, et al. Optimization of Nutrition Therapy with the Use of Calorimetry to Determine and Control Energy Needs in Mechanically Ventilated Critically Ill Patients: The ONCA Study, a Randomized, Prospective Pilot Study. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2018 Sep 25. doi: 10.1002/jpen.1450. [Epub ahead of print]
- January:Sharma V, Gudivada D, Gueer R, Bailitz J. Ultrasound-Assessed Gastric Antral Area Correlates With Aspirated Tube Feed Volume in Enterally Fed Critically Ill Patients. Nutrition in Clinical Practice, Online First, December 16, 2016.
- February: Compher C, Chittams J, Sammarco T, et al. Greater Protein and Energy Intake May Be Associated With Improved Mortality in Higher Risk Critically Ill Patients: A Multicenter, Multinational Observational Study. Crit Care Med. 2017;45(2):156-163.
- March: Yeh DD, Cropano C, Quraishi SA, et al. Implementation of an Aggressive Enteral Nutrition Protocol and the Effect on Clinical Outcomes. Nutr Clin Pract. 2017;32(2):175-181.
- April: Marik PE, Khangoora V, Rivera R, et al. Hydrocortisone, Vitamin C and Thiamine for the Treatment of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock: A Retrospective Before-After Study. Chest. 2016 Dec 6.[Epub ahead of print]
- September: Lee JC, Williams GW, Kozar RA, et al., Multitargeted Feeding Strategies Improve Nutrition Outcome and Are Associated With Reduced Pneumonia in a Level 1 Trauma Intensive Care Unit. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Published online March 16, 2017.[Epub ahead of print]
- October: Qiu C, Chen C, Zhang W, et al. Fat-Modified Enteral Formula Improves Feeding Tolerance in Critically Ill Patients: A Multicenter, Single-Blind, Randomized Controlled Trial. JPEN. 2017 Jul;41(5):785-795.
- November: Plank LD, Mathur S, Gane EJ, et al. Perioperative immunonutrition in patients undergoing liver transplantation: a randomized double-blind trial. Hepatology. 2015;61(2):639-647.
- January: Haskins IN, Baginsky M, Gamsky N, et al. A Volume-Based Enteral Nutrition Support Regimen Improves Caloric Delivery but May Not Affect Clinical Outcomes in Critically Ill Patients. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2015 Nov 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- February: Deutz NE, Matheson EM, Matarese LE, et al. Readmission and mortality in malnourished, older, hospitalized adults treated with a specialized oral nutritional supplement: A randomized clinical trial. Clin Nutr. 2016 Feb;35(1):18-26.
- March: Ghorabi S, Ardehali H, Amiri Z, Vahdat Shariatpanahi Z. Association of the Adductor Pollicis Muscle Thickness With Clinical Outcomes in Intensive Care Unit Patients. Nutr Clin Pract. 2016 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- April: Andersen LW, Holmberg MJ, Berg KM, et al. Thiamine as an adjunctive therapy in cardiac surgery: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase II trial. Crit Care. 2016 Mar 14;20(1):92.
- May: Evans DC, Forbes R, Jones C, et al. Continuous versus bolus tube feeds: Does the modality affect glycemic variability, tube feeding volume, caloric intake, or insulin utilization? Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2016 Jan-Mar;6(1):9-15.
- June: Mesejo A, Montejo-González JC, Vaquerizo-Alonso C et al. Diabetes-specific enteral nutrition formula in hyperglycemic, mechanically ventilated, critically ill patients: a prospective, open-label, blind-randomized, multicenter study. Crit Care. 2015 Nov 9;19:390.
- July: Moya P, Soriano-Irigaray L, Ramirez JM, et al. Perioperative Standard Oral Nutrition Supplements Versus Immunonutrition in Patients Undergoing Colorectal Resection in an Enhanced Recovery (ERAS) Protocol: A Multicenter Randomized Clinical Trial (SONVI Study). Medicine . 2016 May;95(21):e3704.
- September: Perinel J, Mariette C, Dousset B, et al. Early Enteral Versus Total Parenteral Nutrition in Patients Undergoing Pancreaticoduodenectomy: A Randomized Multicenter Controlled Trial (Nutri-DPC). Ann Surg. 2016 Jul 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- October: Arabi YM, Aldawood AS, Al-Dorzi HM, et al. Permissive Underfeeding or Standard Enteral Feeding in High and Low Nutritional Risk Critically Ill Adults: Post-hoc Analysis of the PermiT trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Sep 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- November: Tsujimoto T, Yamamoto Y, Wasa M, et al. L-glutamine decreases the severity of mucositis induced by chemoradiotherapy in patients with locally advanced head and neck cancer: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Oncol Rep. 2015;33(1):33-39.
- January: Grau-Carmona T, Bonet–Saris A, Garcia-de-Lorenzo A, et al. Influence of n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Enriched Lipid Emulsions on Nosocomial Infections and Clinical Outcomes in Critically Ill Patients: ICU Lipids Study. Crit Care Med. 2015 Jan;43(1):31-3
- February: Bakker OJ, van Brunschot S, van Santvoort HC, et al. Early versus on-demand nasoenteric tube feeding in acute pancreatitis. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(21):1983-1993.
- April: Kagan I, Cohen J, Stein M, et al. Preemptive enteral nutrition enriched with eicosapentaenoic acid, gamma-linolenic acid and antioxidants in severe multiple trauma: a prospective, randomized, double-blind study. Intensive Care Med. 2015;41(3):460-469.
- May: Allen JA, Chen R, Ajroud-Driss S, et al. Gastrostomy tube placement by endoscopy versus radiologic methods in patients with ALS: a retrospective study of complications and outcome. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2013;14(4):308-314.
- June: Arabi YM, Aldawood AS, Haddad SH, et al. Permissive Underfeeding or Standard Enteral Feeding in Critically Ill Adults. N Engl J Med. 2015 May 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- July: Yeh DD, Fuentes E, Quraishi SA, et al. Adequate Nutrition May Get You Home: Effect of Caloric/Protein Deficits on the Discharge Destination of Critically Ill Surgical Patients. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2015 Apr 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- September: Patel RP, Canada TW, Nates JL. Bleeding Associated With Feeding Tube Placement in Critically Ill Oncology Patients With Thrombocytopenia. Nutr Clin Pract. 2015 Aug 21. [Epub ahead of print].
- October: Wei X, Day AG, Ouellette-Kuntz H, et al. The Association Between Nutritional Adequacy and Long-Term Outcomes in Critically Ill Patients Requiring Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation: A Multicenter Cohort Study. Crit Care Med. 2015;43(8):1569-1579.
- November: Ziegler TR, May AK, Hebbar G, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Glutamine-supplemented Parenteral Nutrition in Surgical ICU Patients: An American Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. Ann Surg. 2015 Oct 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- January: Puthucheary ZA, Rawal J, McPhail M, et al. Acute skeletal muscle wasting in critical illness. JAMA. 2013;310(15):1591-600.
- February: Gunst J, Vanhorebeek I, Casaer MP, et al. Impact of early parenteral nutrition on metabolism and kidney injury. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;24(6):995-1005.
- March: Xu Z, Li Y, Wang J, Wu B, Li J. Effect of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids to reverse biopsy-proven parenteral nutrition-associated liver disease in adults. Clin Nutr 2012; 31: 217-223.
- April/May: Petros S, Horbach M, Seidel F, Weidhase L. Hypocaloric vs Normocaloric Nutrition in Critically Ill Patients: A Prospective Randomized Pilot Trial. JPEN 2014 Apr 3 [Epub ahead of print]
- June: Braunschweig CA, Sheean PM, Peterson SJ, et al. Intensive Nutrition in Acute Lung Injury: A Clinical Trial (INTACT). JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2014 Apr 9 [Epub ahead of print]
- July: Hamada SR, Garcon P, Ronot M, et al. Ultrasound assessment of gastric volume in critically ill patients. Intensive Care Med. 2014;40(7):965-972.
- August: Peake SL, Davies AR, Deane AM, et al. Use of a concentrated enteral nutrition solution to increase calorie delivery to critically ill patients: a randomized, double-blind, clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Jul 2;100(2):616-625. [Epub ahead of print]
- September: van Zanten AR, Sztark F, Kaisers UX, et al. High-protein enteral nutrition enriched with immune-modulating nutrients vs standard high-protein enteral nutrition and nosocomial infections in the ICU: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014 Aug 6;312(5):514-24.
- October: Harvey SE, Parrott F, Harrison DA, et al. Trial of the Route of Early Nutritional Support in Critically Ill Adults. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(18):1673-1684.
- November: Taylor B, Brody, Denmark R, Southard R, Byham-Gray L. Improving Enteral Delivery Through the Adoption of the “Feed Early Enteral Diet Adequately for Maximum Effect (FEED ME)” Protocol in a Surgical Trauma ICU: A Quality Improvement Review. Nutr Clin Pract. 2014 Aug 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- January: Frankenfield DC, Ashcraft CM, Galvan DA. Longitudinal prediction of metabolic rate in critically ill patients. JPEN 2012;36(6):700-12.
- February: Reignier J, Mercier E, Le Gouge A, et al. Effect of not monitoring residual gastric volume on risk of ventilator-associated pneumonia in adults receiving mechanical ventilation and early enteral feeding: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2013;309(3):249-56.
- March: Mancl EE, Muzevich KM. Tolerability and Safety of Enteral Nutrition in Critically Ill Patients Receiving Intravenous Vasopressor Therapy. JPEN 2013 Jan 17 [Epub ahead of print].
- April: Philipson TJ, Snider JT, Lakdawalla DN, et al. Impact of oral nutritional supplementation on hospital outcomes. Am J Manag Care. 2013 Feb;19(2):121-128.
- May: Heyland D, Muscedere J, Wischmeyer PE, et al. A randomized trial of glutamine and antioxidants in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med. 2013; 368(16):1489-1497.
- June: Doig GS, Simpson F, Sweetman EA, et al. Early parenteral nutrition in critically ill patients with short-term relative contraindications to early enteral nutrition: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2013;309(20):2130-2138.
- September: Guièze R, Lemal R, Cabrespine A, et al. Enteral versus parenteral nutritional support in allogeneic haematopoietic stem-cell transplantation. Clin Nutr. 2013 Jul 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- October: Heyland DK, Murch L, Cahill N, et al. Enhanced Protein-Energy Provision via the Enteral Route Feeding Protocol in Critically Ill Patients: Results of a Cluster Randomized Trial. Crit Care Med. 2013 Aug 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- November: Dickerson RN, Maish GO 3rd, Croce MA, et al. Influence of Aging on Nitrogen Accretion During Critical Illness. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013 Oct 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- February: The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Clinical Trials Network. Initial Trophic vs. Full Enteral Feeding in Patients with Acute Lung Injury: The EDEN Randomized Trial. 2012;307(8):795-803.
- March: Pontes-Arruda A, Martins LF, de Lima SM, et al; Investigating Nutritional Therapy with EPA, GLA and Antioxidants Role in Sepsis Treatment (INTERSEPT) Study Group. Enteral nutrition with eicosapentaenoic acid, γ-linolenic acid and antioxidants in the early treatment of sepsis: results from a multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blinded, controlled study: the INTERSEPT study. Crit Care. 2011 Jun 9;15(3):R144.
- April: Halmos EP, Muir JG, Barrett JS, et al. Diarrhoea during enteral nutrition is predicted by the poorly absorbed short-chain carbohydrate (FODMAP) content of the formula. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010 Oct;32(7):925-933.
- May: Umpierrez GE, Spiegelman R, Zhao V, et al. A double-blind, randomized clinical trial comparing soybean oil-based versus olive oil-based lipid emulsions in adult medical-surgical intensive care unit patients requiring parenteral nutrition. Crit Care Med. 2012 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- July: Ratuapli SK, Taylor G. Ellington TG, O ’ Neill MT, et al. Proton Pump Inhibitor Therapy Use Does Not Predispose to Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. Am J Gastroenterol 2012; 107:730–735.
- September: Davies AR, Morrison SS, Bailey MJ, et al. A multicenter, randomized controlled trial comparing early nasojejunal with nasogastric nutrition in critical illness. Crit Care Med. 2012;40(8):2342-2348.
- October: Weijs PJ, Stapel SN, de Groot SD, et al. Optimal protein and energy nutrition decreases mortality in mechanically ventilated, critically ill patients: a prospective observational cohort study. JPEN 2012 Jan;36(1):60-8.
- November: Bejarano N, Navarro S, Rebasa P, et al. Intra-abdominal Pressure as a Prognostic Factor for Tolerance of Enteral Nutrition in Critical Patients. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012 Oct 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- December: Heidegger CP, Berger MM, Graf S, et al. Optimisation of energy provision with supplemental parenteral nutrition in critically ill patients: a randomised controlled clinical trial. Lancet. 2012 Dec 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- March: Arabi YM, Tamim HM, Dhar GS, Al-Dawood A, Al-Sultan M, Sakkijha MH, Kahoul SH, Brits R. Permissive underfeeding and intensive insulin therapy in critically ill patients: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011;93(3):569-77.
- April: Singer P, Anbar R, Cohen J, et al. The tight calorie control study (TICACOS): a prospective, randomized, controlled pilot study of nutritional support in critically ill patients. Intensive Care Med 2011; 37(4):601-9.
- May: Rice TW, Mogan S, Hays MA, et al. Randomized trial of initial trophic versus full-energy enteral nutrition in mechanically ventilated patients with acute respiratory failure. Crit Care Med. 2011;39(6):1-8.
- June: Metheny NA, Stewart BJ, McClave SA. Relationship between feeding tube site and respiratory outcomes. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2011 May;35(3):346-55.
- July: Casaer MP, Mesotten D, Hermans G, Wouters PJ,et al. Early versus Late Parenteral Nutrition in Critically Ill Adults. NEJM 2011, June 29 [Epub ahead of print].
- September: Grau-Carmona T, Morán-García V, García-de-Lorenzo A, et al. Effect of an enteral diet enriched with eicosapentaenoic acid, gamma-linolenic acid and anti-oxidants on the outcome of mechanically ventilated, critically ill, septic patients. Clin Nutr. 2011 Apr 5. [epub ahead of print].
- October: Davis CJ, Sowa D, Keim KS, et al. The Use of Prealbumin and C-Reactive Protein for Monitoring Nutrition Support in Adult Patients Receiving Enteral Nutrition in an Urban Medical Center. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2011 Jul 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- November: Klek S, Sierzega M, Szybinski P, et al. Perioperative nutrition in malnourished surgical cancer patients – A prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial. Clin Nutr. 2011 Aug 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- December: Rice TW, Wheeler AP, Thompson BT, et al; NHLBI ARDS Clinical Trials Network Enteral omega-3 fatty acid, gamma-linolenic acid, and antioxidant supplementation in acute lung injury. JAMA. 2011;306(14):1574-81.
- January / February: Juvé-Udina ME , Valls-Miró C, Carre˜no-Granero A, et al. To return or to discard? Randomised trial on gastric residual volume management. Intensive Crit Care Nurs 2009;25:258-267.
- March: Gianotti L, Braga M, Biffi R, et al. Glutamine Italy Research Group of the Italian Society of Parenteral, and Enteral Nutrition. Perioperative intravenous glutamine supplementation in major abdominal surgery for cancer: a randomized multicenter trial. Ann Surg 2009;250:684-690.
- April: Vanschoonbeek K, Lansink M, van Laere KM, Senden et al. Slowly digestible carbohydrate sources can be used to attenuate the postprandial glycemic response to the ingestion of diabetes-specific enteral formulas. Diabetes Educ. 2009 Jul-Aug;35(4):631-40.
- May: Woo SH, Finch CK, Broyles JE, et al. Early vs delayed enteral nutrition in critically ill medical patients. Nutr Clin Pract. 2010;25(2):205-211.
- July: NICE-SUGAR Study Investigators. Finfer S, Chittock DR, Su SY, et al. Intensive versus conventional glucose control in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:1346-1349.
- September: Barraud D, Blard C, Hein F, et al. Probiotics in the critically ill patient: a double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Intensive Care Med. 2010;36(9):1540-7.
- November / December: Kawamura E, Habu D, Morikawa H, et al. A randomized pilot trial of oral branched-chain amino acids in early cirrhosis: validation using prognostic markers for pre-liver transplant status. Liver Transpl. 2009;15(7):790-797.
- January: Frankenfield DC, Coleman A, Alam S, et al. Analysis of Estimation Methods for Resting Metabolic Rate in Critically Ill Adults. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2008;33(1):27-36.
- March: Klek S, Kulig J, Sierzega M, et al. The impact of immunostimulating nutrition on infectious complications after upper gastrointestinal surgery: a prospective, randomized, clinical trial. Ann Surg 2008 Aug;248(2):212-20.
- April: Pohl M, Mayr P, Mertl-Roetzer M, et al. Glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus with a disease-specific enteral formula: stage II of a randomized, controlled multicenter trial. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2009 Jan-Feb;33(1):37-49.
- July: Hsu CW, Sun SF, Lin SL, et al. Duodenal versus gastric feeding in medical intensive care unit patients: a prospective, randomized, clinical study. Crit Care Med. 2009 Jun;37(6):1866-72.
- September: Alberda C, Gramlich L, Jones N, et al. The relationship between nutritional intake and clinical outcomes in critically ill patients: results of an international multicenter observational study. Intensive Care Med. 2009;35(10):1728-1737.
- October: Nishiwaki S, Araki H, Shirakami Y, et al. Inhibition of gastroesophageal reflux by semi-solid nutrients in patients with percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2009 Sep-Oct;33(5):513-9.
- December: Poulard F, Dimet J, Martin-Lefevre L, et al. Impact of Not Measuring Residual Gastric Volume in Mechanically Ventilated Patients Receiving Early Enteral Feeding: A Prospective Before-After Study. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2009 Oct 27.
- January: Desport J-C, Torny F, Lacoste M, et al. Hypermetabolism in ALS: correlations with clinical and paraclinical parameters. Neurodegenerative Dis 2005;2:202-207.
- March: Eckerwall GE, Tingstedt BB, Bergenzaun PE, et al. Immediate oral feeding in patients with mild acute pancreatitis is safe and may accelerate recovery–a randomized clinical study. Clin Nutr 2007;26(6):758-63.
- April: Reid CL. Poor agreement between continuous measurements of energy expenditure and routinely used prediction equations in intensive care unit patients. Clin Nutr. 2007;26(5):649-57.
AND Besselink MG, van Santvoort HC, Buskens E, et al.; Dutch Acute Pancreatitis Study Group. Probiotic prophylaxis in predicted severe acute pancreatitis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2008;23;371(9613):651-9.
- June: Lassen K, Kjaeve J, Fetveit T, et al. Allowing normal food at will after major upper gastrointestinal surgery does not increase morbidity: a randomized multicenter trial. Ann Surg 2008;247(5):721-9.
- September: Elke G, Schädler D, Engel C, et al. German Competence Network Sepsis (SepNet). Current practice in nutritional support and its association with mortality in septic patients–results from a national, prospective, multicenter study. Crit Care Med. 2008;36(6):1762-1767.
- October: Collier BR, Giladi A, Dossett LA, et al. Impact of high-dose antioxidants on outcomes in acutely injured patients. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2008 Jul-Aug;32(4):384-8.AND Desachy A, Clavel M, Vuagnat A, et al. Initial efficacy and tolerability of early enteral nutrition with immediate or gradual introduction in intubated patients. Intensive Care Med. 2008 Jun;34(6):1054-9.
- January: Angstwurm MWA, Engelmann L, Zimmermann T, et al. Selenium in Intensive Care (SIC) study: Results of a prospective randomized, placebo-controlled, multiple-center study in patients with severe systemic inflammatory response syndrome, sepsis, and septic shock. Crit Care Med 2007;35(1):1.
- February/ March: Seguy D, Berthon C, Micol J, et al. Enteral Feeding and Early Outcomes of Patients Undergoing Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation Following Myeloablative Conditioning. Transplantation 2006;82(6):835-9.
- April:Davis K, Kinn T, et al. Nutrition Gain Versus Financial Gain: The Role of Metabolic Carts in the Surgical ICU. Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection, and Critical Care 2006; 61(6):1436-1440. & Eckerwall G, Axelsson J, et al. Early Nasogastric Feeding in Predicted Severe Acute Pancreatitis: A Clinical, Randomized Study. Annals of Surgery 2006;244(6): 959-967.
- May: Kuhls DA, Rathmacher JA, Musngi MD, et al. Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate supplementation in critically ill trauma patients. J Trauma 2007;6(1):125-31;discussion 131-2
- June: Hise ME, Halterman K, Gajewski BJ, et al. Feeing practices of severely ill intensive care unit patients: an evaluation of energy sources and clinical outcomes. JADA 2007; 107;458-465.
- July: Villet S, Chiolero RL, Bollmann MD, et al. Negative impact of hypocaloric feeding and energy balance on clinical outcome in ICU patients. Clinical Nutrition 2005 Aug;24(4): page 502-509.
- September: Ren JA, Mao Y, Wang GF, Wang XB, Fan CG, Wang ZM, Li JS. Enteral refeeding syndrome after long-term total parenteral nutrition. Chin Med J 2006;119(22):1856-1860.
- October: Singer P. High-dose amino acid infusion preserves diuresis and improves nitrogen balance in non-oliguric acute renal failure. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2007;119(7-8):218-222.
- November: Nguyen NQ, Chapman M, Fraser RJ, et al. Prokinetic therapy for feed intolerance in critical illness: One drug or two? Crit Care Med 2007;35(11):2561-2567.
- January: Rabinovitch, Grant, Berkey, et al. Impact of nutrition support on treatment outcome in patients with locally advanced head and neck squamous cell cancer treated with definitive radiotherapy: a secondary analysis of RTOG trial 90-03. Head and Neck 2005 Nov. 14
- February: Buck ML, et al. Comparison of methods for intravenous infusion of fat emulsion during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation . Pharmacotherapy 2005;25(11):1536-1540.
- March: Tiengou L-E, Gloro R, Pouzoulet J, et al. Semi-elemental formula or polymeric formula: is there a better choice for enteral nutrition in acute pancreatitis? Randomized comparative study. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2006;30:1-5.
- April: Fiaccadori E, Maggiore U, Rotelli C, et al. Effects of different energy intakes on nitrogen balance in patients with acute renal failure: a pilot study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005;20(9):1976-80. & Singer P, Theilla M, Fisher H, et al. Benefit of an enteral diet enriched with eicosapentaenoic acid and gamma-linolenic acid in ventilated patients with acute lung injury. Crit Care Med 2006;34(4):1033-1038.
- May: Metheny NA, et al. Tracheobronchial aspiration of gastric contents in critically ill tube-fed patients: frequency, outcomes, and risk factors. Crit Care Med 2006;34:1007-1015.
- June: Artinian V, Krayem H, DeGiovine B. Effects of Early Enteral Feeding on the Outcome of Critically Ill Mechanically Ventilated Medical Patients. Chest 2006;129:960-967.
- July: Wu GH, Liu ZH, Wu ZH, et al. Perioperative artificial nutrition in malnourished gastrointestinal cancer patients. World J Gastro 2006;12(15):2441-2444.
- September: Pontes-Arruda A, Aragao AM, Albuquerque JD. Effects of enteral feeding with eicosapentaenoic acid, gamma-linolenic acid, and antioxidants in mechanically ventilated patients with severe sepsis and septic shock. Crit Care Med. 2006;34(9):2325-33.
- October: Sorokin R, Gottlieb JE. Enhancing patient safety during feeding-tube insertion: a review of more than 2,000 insertions. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2006;30(5):440-5.
& Burns SM, Carpenter R, Blevins C. Detection of inadvertent airway intubation during gastric tube insertion: Capnography versus a colorimetric carbon dioxide detector. Am J Crit Care. 2006;15(2):188-95.
- November: Van den Berghe G, Wilmer A, Hermans G, et al. Intensive Insulin Therapy in the Medical ICU. N Engl J Med 2006;354:449-61.
- January: Crimi E, Liguori A, Condorelli M, Cioffi M, Astuto M, Bontempo P, Pignalosa O, Vietri MT, Molinari AM, Sica V, Della Corte F, Napoli C. The beneficial effects of antioxidant supplementation in enteral feeding in critically ill patients: a prospective, randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial. Anesth Analg 2004; 99: 857-863
- February/ March: Luis DA, Izaola O, Cuellar L, et al. Randomized clinical trial with an enteral arginine-enhanced formula in early postsurgical head and neck cancer patients. Eur J Clin Nutr 2004;58:1505-1508. & McClave SA, Lukan JK, Stefater JA, et al. Poor validity of residual volumes as a marker for risk of aspiration in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med 2005;33:(2):324-330.
- April: Eatock, FC, Chong, MB, et al. A Randomized Study of Early Nasogastric versus NasojejunalFeeding in Severe Acute Pancreatitis. Am J of Gastroenterol 2005;100:432-439.
- May: Dennis MS, Lewis SC, Warlow C, et al. FOOD Trial Collaboration Effect of timing and method of enteral tube feeding for dysphagic stroke patients (FOOD): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005;365:764-772.
- June: Hans Kieft, Arnout N. Roos, Jenneke D. E. van Drunen, et al. Clinical outcome of immunonutrition in a heterogeneous intensive care population Intensive Care Medicine 2005;31(4):524 – 532. & Immunonutrition in the critically ill: from old approaches to new paradigms pp. 501 – 503 Daren Heyland and Rupinder Dhaliwal (editorial from above article)
- September: Metheny, NA. Effect of Feeding-Tube Properties on Residual Volume Measurements in Tube-Fed Patients. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2005;29(3):192-197.
- October: Villet S, Chiolero RL, Bollmann MD, et al. Negative impact of hypocaloric feeding and energy balance on clinical outcome in ICU patients. Clinical Nutrition 2005 Aug;24(4): page 502-509.
- November: Petros S, E Lothar . Enteral nutrition delivery and energy expenditure in medical intensive care patients. Clin Nutr (In Press);2005
- January: Schloerb PR, Wood JG, Casillan AJ, Tawfik O, Udobi K. Bowel necrosis caused by water in jejunal feeding. JPEN 2004 Jan-Feb ; 28, No 1: 27-29.
- February/ March: Scheinkestel CD, Kar L, Marshall K, Bailey M, Davies A, Nyulasi I, Tuxen DV. Prospective randomized trial to assess caloric and protein needs of critically Ill, anuric, ventilated patients requiring continuous renal replacement therapy. Nutrition. 2003 Nov-Dec;19(11-12):909-16. & multiple articles regarding assessment and feeding of obese patients.
- April: Chang WK, McClave SA, Lee MS, Chao YC. Monitoring bolus nasogastric tube feeding by the Brix value determination and residual volume measurement of gastric contents. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2004 Mar-Apr;28(2):105-12.
- May: Uehara M, Plank LD, Hill GL. Components of energy expenditure in patients with severe sepsis and major trauma: a basis for clinical care. Crit Care Med. 1999 Jul;27(7):1295-302. & Rubinson L, Diette GB, Song X, Brower RG, Krishnan JA.
Low caloric intake is associated with nosocomial bloodstream infections in patients in the medical intensive care unit. Crit Care Med. 2004 Feb;32(2):350-7.
- June: Shang E, Geiger N, Sturm JW, Post S. Pump-assisted enteral nutrition can prevent aspiration in bedridden percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy patients. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2004 May-Jun;28(3):180-3.
- July: Rokyta R Jr, Matejovic M, Krouzecky A, Senft V, Trefil L, Novak I. Post-pyloric enteral nutrition in septic patients: effects on hepato-splanchnic hemodynamics and energy status. Intensive Care Med. 2004 Apr;30(4):714-7.
- September: Kompan L, Vidmar G, Spindler-Vesel A, Pecar J. Is early enteral nutrition a risk factor for gastric intolerance and pneumonia? Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;23(4):527-532.
- October: Cordoba J, et al. Normal protein diet for episodic hepatic encephalopathy: results of a randomized study. J Hepatol 2004 Jul;41(1):38-43.
- November: Abuksis G, Mor M, Plaut S, Fraser G, Niv Y. Outcome of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG): comparison of two policies in a 4-year experience. Clin Nutr. 2004 Jun;23(3):341-6.
- December: Bullock TK, Waltrip TJ, Price SA, et al. A retrospective study of nosocomial pneumonia in postoperative patients shows a higher mortality rate in patients receiving nasogastric tube feeding. Am Surg 2004;70(9):822-826. & Mesejo A, Acosta JA, Ortega C. et al. Comparison of a high-protein disease-specific enteral formula with a high-protein enteral formula in hyperglycemic critically ill patients. Clin Nutr 2003;22:295-305.
- November: Garrel, Dominique; Patenaude, Julie; Nedelec, Bernadette; Samson, Louise; Dorais, Judy; Champoux, Julie; D’Elia, Michele; Bernier, Jacques , Decreased mortality and infectious morbidity in adult burn patients given enteral glutamine supplements: A prospective, controlled, randomized clinical trial. Critical Care Medicine. 2000 October; 31(10):2444-2449.
- December: John C. Hall , Geoffrey Dobb, Jane Hall, Ruth de Sousa, Lisa Brennan and Rosalie McCauley A prospective randomized trial of enteral glutamine in critical illness. Intensive Care Medicine 29(10): 1710 – 1716 & previous articles used for traineeship journal club critiques.