Distinctions Between the Primary Care and Categorical Tracks at UVA
- Close mentoring of all Primary Care (PC) Track residents through all three years of training by the Track Director, Dr. Andrew Wolf
- All primary care residents are on the same outpatient firm at their core ambulatory training site (University Medical Associates – UMA) under the supervision of Dr. Wolf for patient-resident-attending continuity and to foster comaraderie within the Track
- Primary Care Track residents have a second continuity experience at University Physicians–Charlottesville, a six-physician UVA practice on our nearby Fontaine campus, to augment the university-based UMA experience with a more community-based, smaller practice experience.
- There are community-based primary care rotations in each of the three training years to provide a broader exposure than available in the Categorical Track
- There are more outpatient specialty elective rotations to tailor Primary Care Track training to an outpatient career path
- The “+1” ambulatory weeks include training experiences tailored to PC track residents in addition to traditional internal medicine subspecialties, such as dermatology and sports medicine
- PGY-1 residents in the PC track have expanded clinical training in Geriatrics and Palliative care
- PC Track residents participate in our monthly “Hot Topics in Primary Care” journal club
Other Unique Aspects of the UVA Primary Care Track
- Established in 1977, it is one of the longest running tracks of its kind in the U.S.
- The clinical rotations at our Orange, Virginia practice, and Central Virginia Community Health Center, offer unique training experiences in rural medicine, as do extramural elective opportunities on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and international electives
- The “+1 week” ambulatory didactics offer a nationally recognized comprehensive curriculum in primary care internal medicine
- PC Track residents can also participate in our other specialized training tracks, including our Global Health and Clinician Educator Tracks