The Mindful Eating Class is designed to help people alter their behavior and improve their relationship to food, eating and their bodies. With mindfulness as the foundation, the class will provide participants with the tools, understanding and practices to alter unhealthy behavior, thoughts, and habits that are at the root of mindless over-eating, binge eating, and body dissatisfaction.
The goal of the course is to assist participants in developing long-term, sustainable practices that support a healthful approach to eating and food-related thoughts and behavior. The practices taught in the class are designed to enable a more peaceful relationship with food, eating and one’s body by disrupting the vicious cycles that chronic dieting and binge eating tend to perpetuate.
Because the class is interactive and experiential, it is essential that participants be “fully present” for class. Therefore, a computer or other personal device that has both audio and video capability is necessary and students should plan to attend all 8 classes.
You can expect to be both challenged and supported in this class as you endeavor to make healthy, sustainable changes. Topics we will explore include:
- Craving and Food-Mood connections.
- “Diet mentality” and why restrictive diets are not sustainable.
- The many causes and conditions that give rise to the development of disordered eating and food/body struggles.
- The culture of body/weight shaming.
- Methods used by the food industry to increase craving and addiction to highly palatable food (aka “junk food”).
- “Understanding emotional triggers that contribute to mindless/emotional eating”
- Basic neurobiology of habits and how to change them.
- How Self Compassion practices are key in altering unhealthy behaviors.
- The benefits of exercise and creative ways to add it to activities of daily living that you already do.
You will learn how to:
- Practice formal and informal methods of mindfulness.
- Practice mindful eating
- Combat Internalized body/weight shaming and self-criticism.
- Disrupt the vicious cycles of restrictive dieting and over-indulgence.
- Recognize and regulate difficult emotions.
- Re-learn hunger, fullness and satiety cues.
- Use Inner and Outer Wisdom to build healthy habits.
- Mindfully navigate medical appointments and unsolicited diet advice.
- Make peace with the body you were born with.
Date: September 23 – November 18, 2022
Time: 10:00- 12:00 p.m.
Register Online then pay here: Pay Online via UVA EPay
Please pay more, if you can, to help support those less able to pay. Thank you.
$225 – reduced rate
$325 – standard rate
$425 – supporting rate
Instructor: Barbara Maille