Evaluating the impact of mindfulness-based interventions is necessary to determine their benefits and limitations. The Mindfulness Center has been involved in these efforts for the last 15 years. During this time, Mindfulness Center instructors have conducted and participated in a number of research initiatives, including studying the role of mindfulness-based stress reduction for chronic pain and the impact of mindfulness in dealing with stress and burnout among healthcare providers.
Research Publications from Mindfulness Center Instructors
- Ducar DM, Penberthy JK, Calland JF, Schorling J, Leavell VA. Mindfulness for Healthcare Providers (MHP) fosters professional quality of life and mindful attention among emergency medical technicians (EMTs). Explore 2019, Click here
- Penberthy JK, Williams S, Hook J, Le N, Bloch J, Forsyth J, Penberthy JM, Germano D, Schaeffer K, Schorling J. Impact of a Tibetan Buddhist meditation course and application of related modern contemplative practices on college students’ psychological well-being: a pilot study. Mindfulness 2017;8:911-919. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12671-016-0665-y
- Owens JE, Schorling J, Plews-Ogan M, Goodman M, Moorman R, Zaklin R, Dent J. A randomized controlled trial evaluating Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) for the treatment of palpitations: A pilot study. Int J Cardiol. 2016;223:25-27. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167527316318897?via%3Dihub
- Garmon B, Philbrick J, Becker D, Schorling J, Padrick M, Goodman M, Owens JE. Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for chronic pain: a systematic review. J Pain Management 2014;7:23-26.
- Goodman M, Schorling JB. A mindfulness course decreases burnout and improves well-being among healthcare providers. Int J Psych Med 2012;43:119-128. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.2190/PM.43.2.b
- Plews-Ogan M, Owens JE, Goodman M, Wolfe P, Schorling J. A pilot study evaluating mindfulness-based stress reduction and massage for the management of chronic pain. J Gen Intern Med, 2005;20:1136-38. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1490272/