UVA Undergraduate and Graduate Students
UVA Undergraduate and Graduate Students:
- Graduate students may engage in research projects at UVA DOPS while they are pursuing a wide variety of degrees within other departments, such as Anthropology or Religious Studies, Psychology, Neurobiology, or Sociology among many other related academic programs, provided they satisfy all requirements of the parent department and/or parent institution, and have the explicit cooperation of their department supervisor to do a special research project with The UVA Division of Perceptual Studies.
- We welcome qualified UVA undergraduate and graduate student volunteers to support and assist us in various research projects throughout an academic year. Those students and who have skills in statistics, data management, data processing, and in social sciences coding procedures are especially needed.
Those students and community members who wish to volunteer and have skills in statistics, data management, data processing, and in social sciences coding procedures are especially needed.
Each academic year, depending on fluctuating research support needs, we can only take a limited number of qualified volunteers per semester.
*Please note, we do not provide course credit or funding to any students, graduate students or medical students for these specially arranged circumstances.
We invite you to review the descriptions of the ways in which the DOPS researchers currently envision expanding their research within special areas of focus. Please click here on “Expanding Our Research” for more information
If you are interested in the possibility of volunteering, please read the following:
1) Please send an email describing your interests as related to the research being done here at DOPS.
2) Send your resume to our Research Coordinator Lori Derr, at LLD4A@virginia.edu.
3) Once we receive your resume, we will ask you to come in for an interview to see if our needs match your interests.
4) If we decide to go forward, you will fill out an official UVA volunteer form.
5) Once the volunteer form is completed and approved, you will need to to complete UVA Internal Review Board training to ensure appropriate and confidential handling of all materials related to the research. We ask that you do both the UVA IRB-SBS and IRB-HSR training. These are online courses that require about a 4-5 hour commitment for each type of IRB CITI training. Links to the training will be provided once the volunteer orientation process has begun.
6) The students and community members who presents themselves as volunteers will need to commit to at least 3-4 hours every week for the arrangement be successful for the student, the community member and for the DOPS research project.