This Great New Community Survey (TGNC SURVEY) IS CLOSED TO NEW APPLICANTS!
If you have already applied and have not heard from the study team, please reach out via email to: TGNCSurvey@virginia.edu
Why are you doing this survey?
The Virginia Department of Health and the University of Virginia are collaborating on this survey to explore the health, wellness, and experience of TGNC Virginians. Our goal is to use the results to better understand and serve the healthcare needs of TGNC people living in Virginia.
Who is sponsoring or in charge of the survey?
The Virginia Department of Health and the University of Virginia are collaborating on this survey
How are you defining Trans or Gender Non-Conforming?
- For the purposes of this study, we will define Trans people as those whose gender identity differs from their sex assigned at birth.
- For the purposes of this study, we will define Gender Non-Conforming people as those who have gender expressions, behaviors or mannerisms that are either a combination of male and female, or something else, neither male nor female.
Does that include my non-binary identity?
Does that include my agender identity?
How much will I be compensated for completing the survey?
Participants will be compensated with $50 in digital gift cards from either Walmart or Target.
Where can I find a copy of the consent form?
Why are you asking for names, addresses and dates of birth in the Survey Interest Form?
During the initial launch of the survey, we had a number of people take the survey multiple times under different names. Because this survey will be used to shape future resources for TGNC people living in Virginia, we need to make absolutely sure we do not have duplicate survey participants.
To make sure we collect valid data, we must confirm that each person completing a Survey Interest Form is a unique person, so we need to collect their names, addresses and dates of birth. This information will be kept strictly confidential, and no one outside of the study team will have access to it. We notify anyone completing a Survey Interest Form that we are doing this through a disclaimer, telling them that by submitting their Survey Interest Form, we will confirm their information. We will also use the address provided to mail gift cards to those who complete a survey when they cannot receive them by email.
What do you mean by “checked to confirm your eligibility”?
We will conduct a search in a public database using the name, address and date of birth on everyone who completes a Survey Interest Form. The search will look for anyone matching that information. If the search yields no one matching the information, we may follow-up with the applicant to clarify their information if something seems to be a mistake. If we are unable to confirm any information, then the applicant may be ineligible.
What public database?
The check searches the Transunion TLO database. This database will show names, addresses, dates of birth and additional information like possible contact (email/phone). We will NOT be conducting a credit check and we do not have access to this information. Lastly, we will NOT provide Transunion with any information that they will store in their records.
How do I take the survey?
- Get started now by completing the online Survey Interest Form
- A Study Team Member will review your eligibility
- If eligible, a Study Team Member will follow up with you to set a day and time to conduct your interview over the phone.
- Depending on your responses, the survey will take about 90 minutes.
- You will receive a $50 gift card from either Target or Walmart for completing the survey.
- Only one survey per person, please!
How YOU Can Help Spread the Word and get More Voices Heard!
- Take the survey yourself! Get started here: Survey Interest Form
- Send the attached Flyers and this Survey Interest Form link to your TGNC friends by email or text message!
- Post the attached Flyers and the Survey Interest Form link to your social media accounts or relevant social media group pages.
Email us at TGNCstudy@virginia.edu, or you can call 1-855-488-2248 during business hours.
IRB SBS #3915
Principal Investigator: Dr. Karen Ingersoll, Faculty member, Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences at the University of Virginia