Salary and Benefits
Housestaff salaries are competitive and based on the number of years of experience credited toward specialty board certification. Salaries and extensive information on benefits can be found on the UVA Graduate Medical Education website.
- Health, life, disability and professional liability insurance (fully paid by employer)
- Lab coats, scrubs and laundry service provided
- Lunch provided Monday, Thursday, and Fridays
- All housestaff are provided $780.00 to use as reimbursement towards parking fees, intramural membership fees, and/or additional meals
- Access to Medline, UpToDate and MD Consult for literature searches at all Health System PCs including direct access at the bedside
- Housestaff lounge with associated call rooms
- Discounted membership to the University Recreation facilities
Vacation & Time Off
- Interns and residents get four weeks vacation yearly
- Third-years get vacation scheduled over the Christmas or New Year’s holidays and Second-years get vacation scheduled over Thanksgiving
- Days off are 1 in 7 during ward rotations, when averaged over a four-week period
Residents are encouraged to attend national Internal Medicine meetings (ACP, SGIM) or subspecialty meetings to present their research and promote career development during their residency training. Such meetings do not count as vacation time. Residents’ academic fund of $1500 over residency may be used to attend national Internal Medicine meetings or to support presenting their academic projects at regional or national meetings.
Associate Membership in the American College of Physicians is paid for by the Department. This includes subscription to the bimonthly Annals of Internal Medicine. Department funded subscription to the Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP) is provided to each resident early in the second year of training.
For more information, please see the UVA Graduate Medical Education website.